• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

healthcare .gov and Chrome

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
So here in the US we are to signup for healthcare. I've tried for the past 2 weeks or so, but could not get it to log in. Browser I use is Chrome, the latest version (32). I switched to Safari, lo and behold, the website works. Don't ask me why, but if you are having trouble, this could be it. I looked at the compatibility area of the site, and it said Chrome version 27, so I guess they didn't account for the newest version of Chrome
https://www.healthcare.gov/browser-compatibility/

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The problems with healthcare.gov are not browser specific. I easily got on and went through the motions using Chrome Version 31.0.1650.57. The site is so sporadic (or was) that it's not the fault of any browser. Or haven't you been paying attention to the news lately?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'll have to pay the fine - they want half our gross income.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I think the issues are more related to the whole Test-Dev-Stage-Prod development cycle they apparently didn't adhere to very well. If anything, it gives us IT folks a good example to point to when people ask why it takes so long to "fix" something that should not have made it into Prod to begin with. I'd hate to be working on that project. Good stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I can't even open the site from here in the Philippines. Then again I aint signing up for this mess anyway.. LOL

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problems with healthcare.gov are not browser specific. I easily got on and went through the motions using Chrome Version 31.0.1650.57. The site is so sporadic (or was) that it's not the fault of any browser. Or haven't you been paying attention to the news lately?

Well then, it's this POS computer. I have been trying for about 2 weeks, daily, and it just hit me that I should try Safari.

But yes, I have been paying attention to the news and figured that "the site is down" like the detractors want us to believe, so I gave up until I thought of using Safari. So the problem was not with the site but with Chrome on my iMac.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
But yes, I have been paying attention to the news and figured that "the site is down" like the detractors want us to believe, so I gave up until I thought of using Safari. So the problem was not with the site but with Chrome on my iMac.

Don't know what to tell you then, like I said, it works fine from here. Actually it was also working two weeks ago with Chrome when the site was really sick. Also works with Safari and Firefox.

We're you then able to complete the paperwork? Another thing to mention is that it also depends on where you're located. The more folks trying to log on from a specific area will bog down the servers. I was on there this afternoon and the site was actually moving along from page to page very well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 black macbook 2.4/2/250 running 10.7.5,
i am not signing up for anything obama says to do nor will i pay the fine

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
i am not signing up for anything obama says to do nor will i pay the fine

Let us know how that works out for you. I suspect the Feds will be about as forgiving as the IRS are when they don't get your money. ;)

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sure the IRS will take it out of his tax refund.
Actually, I am not sure, but I assume that's how it works, garnishing of sorts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Greatly simplified... your insurer will will give you their version of a W2 type statement to be filed with your taxes. For the most part, no form = fine which is applied to your taxes... you get a smaller refund or you owe money to the Treasury, much like "normal" taxes work. There are of course, exceptions to the rule and some groups (Wendy's, some 450 trade unions, etc...) have sweetheart deals to get out of it for a while.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.