Just sold iPhone 4 on eBay. How to prevent scam?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 7,1 Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz | Mac Pro 5,1 Xeon Quad Core 2.8GHz
Hi, I just sold my iPhone 4 on eBay really quickly. Based on my selling experience, I sold it suspiciously too quickly. <.<

So I just want to ask you guys, how can I protect myself from getting scammed? Like what measures should I take during the shipping process? I'm going to be shipping by USPS Flat Rate.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Ship to the seller so that they have to sign for the item. UPS maintains a tracking log but has a bad habit of leaving an item on the front door step. A good excuse for a scammer to use and say they didn't receive it.

OP
markusaurileus
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright, will do. You know if the post office can add signature confirmation at the register?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi, I just sold my iPhone 4 on eBay really quickly. Based on my selling experience, I sold it suspiciously too quickly. <.<

It may have sold quickly if the price ("Buy It Now" price I'm assuming)...was set below (or well below) what other similarly configured iPhone 4's were/are selling for.

- Nick

OP
markusaurileus
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It may have sold quickly if the price ("Buy It Now" price I'm assuming)...was set below (or well below) what other similarly configured iPhone 4's were/are selling for.

- Nick

Buy it now: $130

I just based it according to what eBay told me others had sold the same phone for ($120-$140).

C

chas_m

a. How did the buyer pay?
b. Where is the buyer located (shipping address)?
c. Looking up that address on a map program, does it seem like a legitimate address?

OP
markusaurileus
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
a. How did the buyer pay?
b. Where is the buyer located (shipping address)?
c. Looking up that address on a map program, does it seem like a legitimate address?

Paypal, US, and legit address, I actually recognize the neighborhood. I think I'll just use eBay's Print Label option and add on signature confirmation with their discount. Otherwise, I don't think there are any more fees to use their label option...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
Hate to be negative here, but the potential scammer could claim that you sent to him a box of rocks, file a claim with PP and he would eventually win, almost a 100% certainty; you are powerless in this scenario.

On the other hand, I sold an item worth $1000, too much $ and too quickly, thinking surely this was a scammer (too good to be true, you know?), but it ended up to be legitimate.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have UPS pack it for you, and ask them to request a signature upon delivery. That works the same way as US registered mail, only less expensive. I have done that several times from a UPS store and it works well. The recipient can say whatever they want, but the proof is yours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And $130 does seem too cheap. Here down under bringing closer to $300.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not here in the US Harry. Some carriers are actually giving the iPhone 4 away for free if you sign a 2 year contract. His selling price is about right.

OP
markusaurileus
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi guys, I ended up printing express mail labels and dropping it off at USPS (on campus). I called PayPal to ask about what I should do, and the lady told me for my situation I should be protected as a seller as long as there is a tracking number. If the buyer claims he got nothing, it isn't my fault, as long as the tracking is recorded. If the buyer claims I sent nothing, they can work with USPS to check for package consistencies across shipping.

In the future, if I ever sell something over $250, I'm definitely going to do signature confirmation, too.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Not here in the US Harry. Some carriers are actually giving the iPhone 4 away for free if you sign a 2 year contract. His selling price is about right.

That's becoming more common. I think my iPhone 4 was /$0.99 with contract last Spring.

OP
markusaurileus
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi guys, everything is fine with the transaction. Just wanted to give an update and say thanks for the input.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was hoping all the concerns were nothing. The majority of e-Bay transactions go smoothly.

Thanks for the update.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I generally transfer Paypal money to my checking account within a few minutes of being paid. I don't ship until it shows up as pending in my checking account. That generally means the cash is free and clear within another 24 hours. I always note in my description that my item won't ship until payment clears. Sometimes it slows down a sale, but I always get paid and sleep well. Just something to consider.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.