USB Keyboards not detected (Keyboard model: A1243) EMC:2171

Reaction score
Hello, has anyone experienced this problem:

This is a very peculiar problem that now appear to be faulty keyboards..yet they work after being left unplugged overnight!!

In august 2013 in preparation for the start of this term, we installed a computer suite with 29 iMacs. The model is WEIMA3Y, 21inch screen, intel i7 with OSX 10.8.5 (12F45).

The keyboards are all USB, the details on each are: Model:A1243 EMC: 2171 @ 5v 1Amax.

What is happening to these is that, every so often, the KEYBOARDS (all USB) will stop working for no obvious reason..

this has been happening intermittently since the begining of term.

I have applied the numerous updates that have been released since then, but this issue persists.

What makes this so confusing, is that, IF YOU TAKE THAT KEYBOARD to another computer, then the keyboard works fine.

I have been reliably informed that, if you unplug the computers power cord (at the computer end, not the wall) and also unplug all USB devices attached (that includes mice and keyboards) and leave the computer for about 2mins, then plug everything back in, it works.

We have recently purchased a number of keyboards, and these too have the same problem.

When i plug in an old mac keyboard onto a computer who's keyboard has "died", this computer detects the old keyboard right away, but the newer keyboard stays undetected until it is plugged into a different machine, then it works.

We have purposefully not installed MAVERICKS as this is rumoured in a few other forums to have issues, and as our setup is for schoolchildren, we dont want to messup the setup unless we are able to get into the room with sufficient time to fix the problems on each of the 29 machines.

Has anyone found a solution to this, as even buying in new keyboards seem to have this problem.

Im starting to think that there is a firmware problem on these USB keyboards but its onlya guess at this point.

As an aside, We have a couple of bluetooth keyboards, but we dare not put these in, as we dont want to give to children things to break/disable and those with removable parts are perfect candidates.
Also, as i understand it, you have to enable some bluetooth on the computers and we dont want the children trying out stuff with their mobile phones.

Thank you for any help, or if you have had the same issue, please add to this.

Reaction score
Have the same problem here. The unplug trick didn't work. Any news on a solution?

Reaction score
same with my mb air and now mb pro

Hi,

I bough 2 of these keyboard and both had the same trouble.

Since about a year I just let my mb air powered on with my keyboard because I need my keyboard to work. (and it's hugely frustrating to start your day trying to get your keyboard working)

I just bough a mb pro late 2013 and the keyboard do not work at all.

When I have to unplug the keyboard and plug it back, I usually hit a couple of keys and then it start working. Sometimes the keyboard do not work at all and I have to let it rest for 10-15 mins. It's not the USB port, because I can plugin another keyboard (PC) or a mouse and it work #1.

I just can't express how frustrated I am right now, as I said I absolutely need that keyboard to work. It's not like if it's a bleeding edge technology or some beta/diy hardware, it's a stupid simple usb keyboard.

All the best,

Sam

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I guess I don't understand why you and the other respondents are buying "junk" keyboards to use with your Macs. What's wrong with buying a genuine Apple keyboard? The aluminum wired USB keyboard is only $49. You can even buy them used from OWC and other sellers for much less.

Reaction score
I guess I don't understand why you and the other respondents are buying "junk" keyboards to use with your Macs. What's wrong with buying a genuine Apple keyboard? The aluminum wired USB keyboard is only $49. You can even buy them used from OWC and other sellers for much less.

The A1243 we are referring to is a genuine aluminium Apple keyboard. I bought 2 of these keyboards for 49$ each and both have the same problem. I'm actually typing this message on a "junk" DELL keyboard I bought for 10$.

Sam

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry about that, thought you were referring to a cheap model USB keyboard. But there may be a reason the keyboards you bought didn't work right. There are actually two model releases of the Apple Aluminum keyboard. The older model (which I'm typing on right now) requires a firmware update before it will work on newer model Macs. The newer model normally should work right out of the box on any late model Mac that has Snow Leopard or later installed. I'm assuming you bought the newer models - they should have worked. Return them to Apple, they're warranted for 90 days (maybe longer, not sure).

Reaction score
Any tips or problem solved?

hello,

I am experiencing the same problem.
I just bought a new Macbook pro running with Yosemite, and a usb keyboard model A1243.
It was working just fine for 2 weeks, and now it won't work anymore after I unplugged everything last night.
I tested the USB keyboard and it works perfectly on my old Macbook.
I tested the USB port of my new MB pro and and it does work fine, so I don't get the problem that is indeed, highly frustrating !

I tried to get my MB on charge as well, let it rest for 10-15min, well nothing will work.

Any other advice ?

Reaction score
hello,

I am experiencing the same problem.
I just bought a new Macbook pro running with Yosemite, and a usb keyboard model A1243.
It was working just fine for 2 weeks, and now it won't work anymore after I unplugged everything last night.
I tested the USB keyboard and it works perfectly on my old Macbook.
I tested the USB port of my new MB pro and and it does work fine, so I don't get the problem that is indeed, highly frustrating !

I tried to get my MB on charge as well, let it rest for 10-15min, well nothing will work.

Any other advice ?

I bought 2 keyboards, when one breaks I switch to the other one until it breaks then I switch back to the first one.

I first though that was a bad batch (I bought 4 keyboards from the same shop, they all have the problem with my MBA and my MBP), but last month I was in the USA and I had the exact same problem (keyboard stop working when reconnecting) when using an american/english keyboard.

All the best,

Sam

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice tip. I had forgotten that the aluminum Apple keyboards being sold in the last couple of years come with the small extension cord in the box. The older aluminum keyboards did not come with that cord. I have two Apple full size wired aluminum keyboards. One that I purchased back in 2008 (no extension cord) and one that I purchased last year - 2014 that did come with the extension cord.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.