Easy Daily backup OF EXTERNAL DRIVES

Reaction score
Good morning!

I want to backup all of my external drives daily. I want a local backup on hard drives, as well as an online backup. Below is my proposed plan. Does anyone have a better idea, or an idea that will save me money?

$200 Mac Mini on ebay
360 Three 3 TB western digital drives
25 USB hub
30 SuperDuper! http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html
6 per month Crash Plan http://www.crashplan.com/

Then I will set it to backup every night before I go to sleep - and every night I will just plug all of my drives into it. SuperDuper! will give me the local copy on the 3 WD drives, and then I will set crash plan to backup those 3 WD drives (and leave them plugged in all the time, since that will be an online backup and will go slower - I will plug it in to the router though so it won't have to go wifi).

What do you think?
Is there a better way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
We'd have to know more about why you have so many drives and what you are willing to spend. What you are doing sounds agonizing. Have you considered getting a RAID enclosure? You could get a 4-bay enclosure; drop the 3 external drives in it (unless they are Caviar Greens... not recommended for RAID); add a 4th; then set to RAID level 5 for striping and parity. If one drive fails under this setup, you just replace it and it gets rebuilt as if you never lost a drive. The RAID volume would be treated as a single drive, not 3 or 4 separate drives, which would make managing this a lot easier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.