• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Power G5 with Intel

D

Drunk

Anyone know by June of 2006 if Apple will release a PowerG5 "the tower looking one" with the Intel Chip? cause my father will buy me it when I Graduate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
the switch is supposed to be doe by 2007.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Intel does not have a chip that is powerfull enough to replace the quad g5 so I would not expect a suprise announcement that they are switching the powermac to intel any time soon.

Reaction score
The PowerMac G5 series comes with two or four 64-bit cores and you can order up to 16 GB of memory with it. Intel's Core Duo chips are 32 bits right now and couldn't support the memory. And they don't have chips that could work in a Multiprocessor configuration so dual-dual isn't an option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
Have him get you an iMac instead, they are already out and still very fast. Not too mentuon much cheaper. An included 20" beautiful display? It doesnt get any better than that.

Reaction score
You have a nice father, but you should really find out what you need rather than jsut getting the biggest coolest.

The PowerMacs (I wonder what they'll name em) are Apple's Pro Flagship Computers, and a lot of pro's use them with the mighty performance with Apps like Final Cut, Shake, Logic etc.

Unless you'll be doing some serious pro app using, an iMac will be fine (and it runs Logic just fine - coming in March). Prep it up with enough RAM, and you're set.

If you don't want an iMac, then you'll have to wait a bit longer, coz Apple will be very cautious to put Intel Chips in anything that doesn't need the Performance per Watt. This Intel transition is all about portables.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
yogi said:
Unless you'll be doing some serious pro app using, an iMac will be fine (and it runs Logic just fine - coming in March). Prep it up with enough RAM, and you're set.
Very sound advice. I think too many people just want the "biggest and the baddest" and go for the Power series. The "i" series would do them just fine. The Power series are professional grade machines and are more often than not overkill for the everyday user.

Reaction score
D3v1L80Y said:
Very sound advice. I think too many people just want the "biggest and the baddest" and go for the Power series. The "i" series would do them just fine. The Power series are professional grade machines and are more often than not overkill for the everyday user.

There are many people that want more performance from their system than
the notebook drives that come in the iMacs provide. And there are applications
that can benefit from multple internal drives.

When I was comparing iMacs to PowerMacs, I noticed the the cases of the iMacs were warm to the touch in the store, like a laptop. The other part of
my choice is that I wanted to be able to pick the monitor that I would use on
the system and have the flexibility to change it in the future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
mmoy said:
There are many people that want more performance from their system than
the notebook drives that come in the iMacs provide. And there are applications
that can benefit from multple internal drives.

When I was comparing iMacs to PowerMacs, I noticed the the cases of the iMacs were warm to the touch in the store, like a laptop. The other part of
my choice is that I wanted to be able to pick the monitor that I would use on
the system and have the flexibility to change it in the future.

That's basically all an iMac is, a laptop with a bigger screen. The G5 probably felt like room temperature due to the multiple fans (9, I think) and liquid cooling systems on the new ones.

Also, you can use an external monitor with an iMac. It has a mini-DVI port that can output to DVI, VGA, s-video, and composite. This way you can hook your iMac up to an external display or run dual displays if you want.

Reaction score
kaidomac said:
That's basically all an iMac is, a laptop with a bigger screen. The G5 probably felt like room temperature due to the multiple fans (9, I think) and liquid cooling systems on the new ones.

Also, you can use an external monitor with an iMac. It has a mini-DVI port that can output to DVI, VGA, s-video, and composite. This way you can hook your iMac up to an external display or run dual displays if you want.

I bought mine almost a year ago. The PowerMac actually feels cool to the touch. My guess is that any air moving through the area keeps the thing cool
as well.

I suppose that I could use an external monitor on the Mac but it would be
cumbersome putting the iMac on the floor under the desk. Or putting the monitor on another system for testing.

Reaction score
The Power Mac has a very good cooling system, alone by the metal casing that takes heat out and the holes in front as well as the powerful fans that blow out the neatly stacked processors. The iMac does get warm.

But back to the discussion: One more think I'd like to add is, that you should map out any future computer purchases. Map out your plan.

I bought a G5 because it loomed upon me that Intel iMacs will come and I chose right, I wanted a system that was time tested and that will be supported for years to come. It's powerful and will run ArchiCad just fine. When I start my architecture CAD course in late 2007 I can look at a MacBook for the seminars, just a 13 inch sorta thing to jot my notes. Then by 2010 I'll need an industry standard Mac for professional architecture and Design, for which i might take the iMac of then or whatever Apple gives me. But right now is a bad time to buy an Intel Mac depending on the apps you will use.

If you mostly use Apple Apps, fine, buy that intel mac.
If you're gonna do CAD, ditch Intel (for now).
Doesn't seem you want to use it for your digital life, coz a imac is best for that (with frontrow and all).
I use the iMac for almost everything, some minor Design (photoshop, indesign, archicad) as well as all the iLife stuff I'm really into (especially iPhoto). I run Logic and Lillypond for my Musical Endeavours and the iMac has a audio input for my piano and guitar. The 20" screen is heavenly.
I have space under my desk for amps and CD racks instead of a huge Computer.
And it will last me for years to come...

So you need a plan. Tell us more about it and we'll gladly help you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
yogi said:
The Power Mac has a very good cooling system, alone by the metal casing that takes heat out and the holes in front as well as the powerful fans that blow out the neatly stacked processors. The iMac does get warm.

But back to the discussion: One more think I'd like to add is, that you should map out any future computer purchases. Map out your plan.

I bought a G5 because it loomed upon me that Intel iMacs will come and I chose right, I wanted a system that was time tested and that will be supported for years to come. It's powerful and will run ArchiCad just fine. When I start my architecture CAD course in late 2007 I can look at a MacBook for the seminars, just a 13 inch sorta thing to jot my notes. Then by 2010 I'll need an industry standard Mac for professional architecture and Design, for which i might take the iMac of then or whatever Apple gives me. But right now is a bad time to buy an Intel Mac depending on the apps you will use.

If you mostly use Apple Apps, fine, buy that intel mac.
If you're gonna do CAD, ditch Intel (for now).
Doesn't seem you want to use it for your digital life, coz a imac is best for that (with frontrow and all).
I use the iMac for almost everything, some minor Design (photoshop, indesign, archicad) as well as all the iLife stuff I'm really into (especially iPhoto). I run Logic and Lillypond for my Musical Endeavours and the iMac has a audio input for my piano and guitar. The 20" screen is heavenly.
I have space under my desk for amps and CD racks instead of a huge Computer.
And it will last me for years to come...

So you need a plan. Tell us more about it and we'll gladly help you.

Exactly. It's all about getting the right tool for the job. Drunk, read the first part of my blog post about my G4 Cube upgrade project here:

http://mcproject.blogspot.com/2005/12/game-plan.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.