I miss the hourglass

Reaction score
Is there an app or something that can help me distinguish between an empty folder and a big one that has not displayed yet. THere is no way I can tell that the computer is thinking versus done and no results

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There's a spinning gear in the bottom right hand corner of the Finder window. If it's there and spinning, Finder is loading the contents.

OP
M
Reaction score
Can't see it

I don't even have a border in the lower right finder window. I wonder if I missed a setting to show this. I appreciate your telling me that there is something, because now I can look for it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Open Finder and click on "View" at the top. Look for "Hide Status Bar", "Hide Path Bar", "Hide Sidebar". Make sure you have not selected any of the three. Rule of thumb, do not hide anything from view in the Finder.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is there an app or something that can help me distinguish between an empty folder and a big one that has not displayed yet. THere is no way I can tell that the computer is thinking versus done and no results

It may be a good idea to tell us what Mac model computer (vintage) and what OS version it is running. There is no reference to what you are using...so we have no idea if you're using a brand new Apple computer...or something extremely old.

And if this is a new computer you purchased recently...it may also help us to know what you upgraded from. If you recently upgraded from a very old computer model (you mentioned the hourglass)...maybe you're trying to make your new model computer do something that only very old models did.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks to all. It does seem to be that I had the sidebar and status bar hidden. THis seems to have resolved the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.