time machine backup fail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sept. '07 white 13" MacBook 8,2 - 10.7.5
A while back Time Machine failed to back up and gave me an error message suggesting I use disk utility to repair the external hard drive. I tried that and it said the drive didn't seem to need repair. The next thing I figured was that the external hard drive had gone bad. It's three years old. I bought a new one and I'm still getting the same error message. I did some digging around on here, downloaded the Time Machine Buddy widget (I think that's what it was called) to log errors. Below is what I'm getting. In between the two pieces is a long list of picture names. I can't find anything that tells me what an error 11 is or what to do about it. I don't know what to do at this point. I haven't made a backup in a couple months now as I just haven't had time to mess with it. But if I happen to crash and lose some of what I have on here now, I'll be in heap big sheep dip. Help? How do I get this going again? And thanks in advance.

I think all this started when I moved a bunch of pictures from one folder to another, if that's any clue.

Starting standard backup
Backing up to: /Volumes/My Passport/Backups.backupdb
Event store UUIDs don't match for volume: HD 10-19-2010
Node requires deep traversal:/ reason:must scan subdirs|new event db|
No pre-backup thinning needed: 31.24 GB requested (including padding), 229.63 GB available

Copied 46154 files (1.1 GB) from volume HD 10-19-2010.
Copy stage failed with error:11
Backup failed with error: 11

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Good luck however personally prefer to clone to the external rather than use TM. CarbonCopyCleaner will clone all to drive, including Recovery partition. SuperDuper does not clone recovery but this is no problem if OS X.7/8 is copied to a USB thumb drive before running the Installer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Have you run Repair Disk Permissions on the internal drive?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll try that right now. Estimated time is about an hour and I'm seeing a lot of differing permissions already. I'll let you know the outcome.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't believe repair permissions is going to work. It appears the backup image is (are) corrupt. I would do one of two things: Follow Harry's advice above or wipe the external drive clean and start Time Machine over again. Personally, I keep two backups: One using Carbon Copy Cloner as primary, and the second being Time Machine.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had tried a brand new and freshly formatted hard drive and I got the same error.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Now that I'm looking a bit more closely at the error it appears it's not with the external drive but with your internal hard drive. Repairing permissions may in fact be what is needed; member osxx may be right. Let us know how that went.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's done. It didn't take an hour. There was a long list of permissions repaired. I've rebooted on the internal hard drive now and have started a TM backup. We'll see if it finishes this time.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No luck. It has failed again with the same error. Rats. Now what?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm repairing disk permissions on the internal hard drive again and it's finding a whole lot more of them. Could the internal hard drive be so messed up that I should replace it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let's not try to repair permissions again. Most of those so called errors don't really mean anything anyway. However, I did find something interesting in the Apple Community Forums. Take a look at this discussion and try what he did to solve the problem as it sounds familiar to what you said in your first post. Discussion LINK

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, thanks for digging that up. I'll exclude the folder where those pictures are that are causing the problem and see what happens. There are some 22 GB of pictures there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Do you have iPhoto installed?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That did it. It finally got through a backup and just now finished. It's the first one in three months. I didn't realize it had been that long. I'm glad that's going again.

I have iPhoto. I don't use it for much.

Now how do I get this folder of pictures to back up again? It has several subfolders in it. Maybe I'll try allowing one subfolder at a time and see what happens. Or with a folder of 22 GB, would I be best to off-load that onto something else and leave it there? Say, a partition on the external hard drive or something similar?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now how do I get this folder of pictures to back up again? It has several subfolders in it. Maybe I'll try allowing one subfolder at a time and see what happens. Or with a folder of 22 GB, would I be best to off-load that onto something else and leave it there? Say, a partition on the external hard drive or something similar?

I think the idea of off loading those photos on to a separate hard drive or perhaps a flash drive is probably a good idea. I'm sure you would hate to lose that many photos (which are probably not replaceable) in the event of a disaster.

An even more elegant solution would be to buy a Blue Ray burner and disks and burn those photos to Blue Ray. :) Albeit a bit expensive.... ;D

Anyway, I'm glad to hear your Time Machine is working again!

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks so much again for your help!

nod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020) 3.3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5 64 GB RAM
I am having a problem with Time Machine failed to back up. I downloaded Time Machine Buddy and get this message when I try to run it: Time Machine Buddy can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer. The iMac is a new late model 27 inch with Mavericks installed. Having several problems with this machine as opposed to the 24 inch iMac that it is replacing.
Thanx,
nod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
OS X has a control in place to warn users for ' unknown ' code ( or applications )
If you are certain that the application can be trusted ( in terms of malicious code ) then you can right click the application and select ' open ' from the menu.
That indicates to the OS that you have knowingly allowed the code to run ( compared to double clicking, which can happen by accident )

Cheers ... McBie

nod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020) 3.3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5 64 GB RAM
Thank you very much McBie:D I appreciate your time.

nod

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.