Can you write a path in the database field that links to an external file on my mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 2011
I want to create a local movie database. I was going to create it with MYSQL and PHP. I have created a test server using MAMP. As known, is the MAMP folder in the Applications folder.

But since the movies are heavy - I would not put these files in the same folder. Instead I want to link these from an external hard drive.

Is this possible? Can you write a path in the database field that links to an external file on my mac?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The link is just text, and the database don't know what it is or where it points to. So that doesn't matter. Were you planning on creating a web page that will list these movies and clicking on them would launch them or something?

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 2011
How will I write the path

OK, good to know. But how will I write the path. file: [drive]: [Folder]: [filename] or: localhost / .. / ..?

Reaction score
Not familiar with SQL but most paths are like:
/Volumes/drive/folder_or_file
/Volumes is where your mounted drives are.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
OK, good to know. But how will I write the path. file: [drive]: [Folder]: [filename] or: localhost / .. / ..?

That depends on HOW you want to load the file..paths in OS X follow the /Volumes/<drive>/<full>/<path>/<to>/<file> format..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.