Mic: What am I missing?

L

luovik

Hi everyone. I've been trying for the last week to get Skype working so I can save myself a bit of money (being a poor slacker student type).

Problem is, the mic never works. And I've tried 3 different headsets, 2 of which I know work on Windows machines. The setup I have is that the standard audio out/headphone jack is conencted to some Sony PC speakers, and said speakers also have a headphone jack and a mic jack. There is of course a mic jack on the box itself. However, wherever I plug in the mic I can hear but not be heard. I have checked the obvious stuff like ensuring the mic is unmuted and the volume on it is turned up, but still nothing. Doesnt make sense.

I've got an old G4 powermac if thats any help... muchas gracias in advance!

OP
B

Badger

This is usually caused because the output of the Mic (mic level) doesn't match the input (line level) of the computer. You can get a USB headset like the Sony/Logitech PS 2 model or you can get a USB sound connector like Griffin's iMic. Generally, USB gives you better sound. I've used the PS2 headset with Skype without problems. You can also try to find a conventional headset that has line level output.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.