Connecting iMac to HDMI TV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Anyone else had any problems connecting an iMac to an HDMI TV?

I tried this yesterday and had serious problems. Although I got it to work after some issues with selecting the correct configuration options, rebooting the Mac with the TV still connected resulted in the Mac not starting up correctly on either display.

After disconnecting I still had the same problems, which were only resolved by rebooting in Safe Mode and resetting the Display options.

Was all of this just coincidence or is it really not a good idea to connect these two devices?

The iMac uses a mini-DVI, so I bought a mini-DVI to HDMI cable and used that with a normal HDMI to HDMI cable.

It would be useful to be able to connect these devices in this way, but I am a little unsure about trying it again in case it causes these problems every time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.