Build 7600 Error - Windows on VMware

Reaction score
Hi. I have a question regarding Windows on VMware fusion. I downloaded Windows through University software and inserted the product key. However, some time later (I don't exactly remember if it was 30 days or not, since this happened a while ago), I was told my copy of Windows wasn't genuine. I took it to the IT department at my school and they told me this happened because I downloaded an "upgrade only" product key and not windows itself. I mainly used Mac OS X anyway but now I am required to use Windows for a class.

They told me the way I can fix this is to re-download and re-install VMware fusion and reinstall Windows on it, since the product keys they provide now are not "upgrade only." I am wondering if it is necessary to uninstall and then reinstall VMware fusion or if I can just uninstall/reinstall Windows only, and if someone could provide a link or resource that guides me through this process it would be much appreciated. Thanks! :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I am wondering if it is necessary to uninstall and then reinstall VMware fusion or if I can just uninstall/reinstall Windows only, and if someone could provide a link or resource that guides me through this process it would be much appreciated.

You don't have to reinstall VMWare Fusion. And, you may not have to reinstall Windows either - although that I'm not certain of. What you can try, is use the newer product key that your school supplied with the current copy of Windows you have. If that doesn't work to make it genuine, then reinstall Windows over itself and use the new product key.

Either way, should be easy enough to do without further instructions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.