Formatting email-double spacing?

Reaction score
I've seen old discussions about this, but nothing recent. I'm trying to put a double-spaced manuscript into the body of the email (no attachments allowed). Is it possible to do that these days? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I've seen old discussions about this, but nothing recent. I'm trying to put a double-spaced manuscript into the body of the email (no attachments allowed). Is it possible to do that these days? Thanks.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. If you copy/paste the contents into your email, then the double-spacing should remain.

OP
A
Reaction score
Formatting -double spacing

The double spacing doesn't remain if you copy and paste from either word or test edit. I also tried copy and pasting from a PDF. It all goes to single spacing in the body of the email.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Well i dont use Word but in Text Edit i just copied your post into it, and added a extra space, then ⌘C and ⌘P into a new email window and it kept the double spacing.
If its not working for you, try ⇧⌥⌘V (Shift + Option + Command + V) which is 'Paste and Match Style'

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agreed with TM here. I had no trouble keeping the space in some text I copied/pasted.

Oh wait... I just realized what you wanted. Double-spacing, not a space between paragraphs. *slaps head*

I pasted some text in Pages and converted the line spacing to "double", then copied that. I was hopeful TM's suggestion would work, but no dice. "Paste and Match Style" doesn't work for double-spacing.

Let me dwell on this and experiment some. I have a couple ideas.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Well i dont use Word but in Text Edit i just copied your post into it, and added a extra space, then ⌘C and ⌘P into a new email window and it kept the double spacing.
Did you just hit enter between lines or double space the document?

There's one way to do this. Copy the content and then, in Mail (assuming this is what you're using), go to Edit > Paste as Quotation. If you don't like the quotation style, simply right click the pasted content and select Quote Level > Decrease.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Mail's default setting for composing is 'Plain text' - double spaced text copied into it will default to single spaced - no matter how you copy it the best I can tell.

Open Mail - Preferences - Composing
Change 'Message format' to 'Rich Text'.

It will now keep your double spacing when you paste into it.

Warning: it will not keep the double spacing in an email you're composing that was opened prior to the change. You will have to open a new message.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Did you just hit enter between lines or double space the document?
Lol i had double spaced in between words, then hit enter to double space between Paragraphs from Text Edit.

But i only use mail to send and receive nothing fang dangled like double spacing things

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mail's default setting for composing is 'Plain text' - double spaced text copied into it will default to single spaced - no matter how you copy it the best I can tell.

Open Mail - Preferences - Composing
Change 'Message format' to 'Rich Text'.

It will now keep your double spacing when you paste into it.

Warning: it will not keep the double spacing in an email you're composing that was opened prior to the change. You will have to open a new message.

I tried this myself and it won't keep the double-spacing. I've been looking around and trying everything, including different email clients, and I can't get double-spacing to stick. I was hoping that WordService had an option to put a hard break after each line, but no go. From doing some searching, it appears Outlook may support it, but that seems to be it.

The only thing I believe the OP can do is manually add a hard return after each line. He could probably write an Automator action to make this a bit easier if the document is really long.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't have Word - I use LibreOffice.

However, saving a document in Libre as 2007 xlsx file with double spacing, copied and pasted with Mail set to Rich Text and works here.

??? - Am out of ideas - don't use text documents very much at all.

edit:
Now it's not here either.
Why'd it work the first time???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't have Word - I use LibreOffice.

However, saving a document in Libre as 2007 xlsx file with double spacing, copied and pasted with Mail set to Rich Text and works here.

I can't get it to work here, even pasting from LibreOffice. ALTHOUGH! I just noticed something. If I use the simple "Paste", it keeps the font/size I had set in LibreOffice (or Pages for that matter). If I use "Paste and Match Style", I actually lose the font/size. ***?????? That's the exact opposite of what I would think I'd see (barring lack of double-spacing).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Going back in and trying it a second time - not working here any longer either???

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There's one way to do this. Copy the content and then, in Mail (assuming this is what you're using), go to Edit > Paste as Quotation. If you don't like the quotation style, simply right click the pasted content and select Quote Level > Decrease.

I tried this myself and it won't keep the double-spacing. I've been looking around and trying everything, including different email clients, and I can't get double-spacing to stick.

edit:
Now it's not here either.
Why'd it work the first time???
*cough* *cough* (pointing to myself, waving hands wildly in the air). :p

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*cough* *cough* (pointing to myself, waving hands wildly in the air). :p

Hmmm, ah, what?

*rechecks thread*

Oh... ok. "Paste as..... " EDIT: No... that doesn't work. "Paste as Quote" does not maintain the double-spacing preference. I think we all keep getting confused here. Do this: Paste a large block of text (single paragraph, even this one you are reading now) into TextEdit and make it a Rich Text document from the Format menu. Once done, you will get a toolbar with an option that defaults to 1.0 (for single spacing). Change that to 2.0 (for double spacing). See what happens? Now copy that and try pasting into an email using any of the pasting options available.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
EDIT: nevermind... that doesn't work

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm, it doesn't work from TextEdit but it does work from Word. Does it work from Pages?

(I'm going to imagine that, in saying "manuscript," TextEdit isn't the editor of choice here).

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your responses and repeated attempts to make this work. Nothing has worked for me yet. I think I'll end up giving up double spacing. At some point, substance has to worth more than form! If anyone finds a solution that's relatively straightforward, I'll continue to try!

C

chas_m

Double-spacing for manuscripts is rarely used these days, but if you want it, why not just save the document (in whatever program you created it in) as a PDF and send that? All formatting, typography and style preserved.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Double-spacing for manuscripts is rarely used these days, but if you want it, why not just save the document (in whatever program you created it in) as a PDF and send that?
Depends what it's a manuscript for. Academic and scholarly manuscripts are double spaced 99% of the time (and that is probably a conservative guess).

In reading through all of this, is there any particular reason that you're sending the manuscript in the body of the email itself? Why not just attach it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.