Migrating iTunes from iMac to new iMac

Reaction score
All my music on my current iMac was either burned from CD, downloaded from Amazon.com, or mp3 tracks manually entered (mp3s from friends or my own compositions.) The only stuff downloaded from iTunes is free podcasts.

I want to migrate my iTunes collection to my new iMac and then move it to iCloud.

That being said...
1. I've created a new Apple ID for my new iMac. Is migrating possible?
2. I want my iTunes collection to stay intact. Is that possible?
3. What are the steps to take to accomplish this?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Since the music is all mp3 and not purchased through the iTunes store the presence of two Apple IDs isn't a problem. Just out of curiosity, any reason for creating the second Apple ID? Having one Apple ID makes things easier when downloading apps.

It is possible to keep the collection intact. Here are Apple's suggestions. Look at either the sections on Home Sharing or External hard drive. These directions seem to be a bit better.

When preparing to move your library I believe you can preserve the playlists you've created by going into your existing iTunes folder, copying the iTunes Library.xml file and moving it to the new computer.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks Slydude. It was remarkably easy when following those instructions. I created a new Apple ID because I never used the old one.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks Slydude. It was remarkably easy when following those instructions. I created a new Apple ID because I never used the old one.

Glad that helped. Given my propensity for creating convoluted solutions to simple problems I am rarely accused of providing remarkably easy instructions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.