time capsule help

jif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac i5 (2010)  iPad2  iPhone5  iPhone 4S  Apple TV2  iP
I've a 2010 intel iMac with a firewire external HDD connected. I need another external HDD and wonder if I could ask for your thoughts.

My mac only has one firewire port and don't want data transfer on a new HDD at USB 2.0 speeds, so I'm thinking about the new time machine....

Im in the UK with BT infinity2, using the new homehub 4. I get 70mb download, 20mb upload. What would my data speeds be in comparison to firewire/USB transfers ?

Clearly the TC is way more than an external drive, Its a wifi network... would this replace my home hub as my router, or plug into the router to compliment it.

My home hub is new and i'm happy with my wifi network, i only really need this as a NAS.

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
The Internet speed doesn't one into play here. It's the wireless speed. The Homehub 4 has N rated wifi at 5ghz so potentially that's up to 300mb/s. In real terms you'll never likely reach those speeds. But in any case USB 2 connected directly to your machine will likely be faster and more robust. They same would be true with a time capsule.

If you do want NAS functionality though you can either connected a USB disk to your Homehub or I'd suggest getting a dedicated NAS drive

Something else to consider is that FireWire devices can be daisy chained. Provided they have suitable connections on the enclosure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.