PDA

View Full Version : Switch from FrontPage to a Mac program

PeterSG
06-25-2013, 11:43 PM
I have used FrontPage for many years.

Currently I run FrontPage under Windows 7 under Parallels.

Can anyone recommend a WYSIWYG editor that will convert my FP-developed sites into HTML5 and runs under iOS 10.6.8?

All with no coding.

Thank you.

harryb2448
06-26-2013, 12:11 AM
Did you use Search? Try this:-

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/192016-frontpage.html

PeterSG
06-26-2013, 01:11 AM
Thank you, HarryB.

I will search some more.

Searches turned up older info on things such as iWeb and Dreamweaver.

I tried DW and found it too complex for my needs.

FrontPage does all I need, but it would be great to be totally done with Windows.

chscag
06-26-2013, 03:09 AM
What's wrong with using iWeb? Which version of OS X are you using?

PeterSG
06-26-2013, 05:55 PM
What's wrong with using iWeb? Which version of OS X are you using?

Thanks.

My understanding is that Apple has dropped iWeb.

It is being replaced by the EasyWeb product that was written by two Apple engineers.

My problem with this product is that I have hundreds of pages on many sites that use FrontPage's form processing to report survey results via email to our staff.

It is this form function and reporting that stops me each time I search for a FP replacement.

Otherwise, I believe that I could run my 72 sites into another product that runs under native Apple and be rid of Microsoft & FP.

Slydude
06-27-2013, 02:06 AM
This is not a field that I follow much but I wonder if RapidWeaver in conjunction with a plugin would do the job for you. Here one that I found though I am sure there are others. FormLoom (http://www.yabdab.com/plugins/formloom/)

I have not seen much of an answer for how much of Front Row's code RapidWeaver can import without recoding.

PeterSG
06-27-2013, 12:42 PM
This is not a field that I follow much but I wonder if RapidWeaver in conjunction with a plugin would do the job for you. Here one that I found though I am sure there are others. FormLoom (http://www.yabdab.com/plugins/formloom/)

I have not seen much of an answer for how much of Front Row's code RapidWeaver can import without recoding.

~~~~~

Thank you, Sly.

I will check out using a plug in with RapidWeaver. It seems to have possibilities.

Slydude
06-27-2013, 01:45 PM
Hope that works out for you. As I say I have not used RapidWeaver but it seems to be well liked.

PeterSG
06-27-2013, 03:13 PM
The plug is what I could use to translate the forms.

However, RapidWeaver does not read and convert sites written by other programs.

Since RapidWeaver will not translate my sites, I need another program that will perform that conversion.

Thanks for the idea.

chas_m
06-30-2013, 06:43 AM
Let me save you a lot of time and effort.

FrontPage is a MS proprietary thing. There is NOTHING on this planet that is going to convert your FP sites into some other program so you can continue using them.

You will have to rebuild sites, and this is actually a VERY GOOD THING as the code FP generates is, on top of being inefficient, inaccurate for web-standard browsers and generally horrible, hopelessly out-of-date.

You are far better of re-creating the sites in a more modern program, as this will produce better-quality code and make your site look way better. You don't necessarily have to learn much HTML coding, but you will have to learn a new program. Take a look at Sandvox, at Rapidweaver, at Freeway. I know nothing about this EasyWeb thing you mentioned -- Apple's definitely not endorsing it as a replacement, but then again they're not suggesting anything as a replacement -- but look around, find the best tool that will work with you, and recreate your sites. Or stick with FP until it dies, which I suspect it will in due course.

PeterSG
07-01-2013, 12:59 AM
^ Thank you , Chas_M.

Your words make perfect sense and present very realistic apparent fact.

I will follow your suggestion as to how to transition to native Mac.

Thank you. You have done as you said: Saved me time & trouble.

PeterSG
06-17-2015, 05:15 PM
I have used FrontPage for many years.

Currently I run FrontPage under Windows 7 under Parallels.

Can anyone recommend a WYSIWYG editor that will convert my FP-developed sites into HTML5 and runs under iOS 10.6.8?

All with no coding.

Thank you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello,

This old thread of mine may yield some good results for a few more people as well as me.

So please allow me to ask the quoted-above question again.

I would really like to be able to find a program that reads in my FP pages' code and outputs a converted web site ready for use of this new program.

Does anyone have an idea of what program that might be?

Thank you.

vansmith
06-17-2015, 05:25 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello,

This old thread of mine may yield some good results for a few more people as well as me.

So please allow me to ask the quoted-above question again.

I would really like to be able to find a program that reads in my FP pages' code and outputs a converted web site ready for use of this new program.

Does anyone have an idea of what program that might be?

Thank you.

I haven't heard of such a program but, even if there is one, it might be better to re-design it. The last version of it was released in 2003 by the company that made the browser that itself made up 90%+ of the market. Honestly, and this probably the answer you wanted, you're better off starting from scratch.

PeterSG
06-17-2015, 06:28 PM
I haven't heard of such a program but, even if there is one, it might be better to re-design it. The last version of it was released in 2003 by the company that made the browser that itself made up 90%+ of the market. Honestly, and this probably the answer you wanted, you're better off starting from scratch.

Thank you for your wise perspective. I agree with your suggestion to re-do.

I am considering the Mozilla KompoZer program. Do you have any thoughts about that?

I would appreciate your opinion.

vansmith
06-18-2015, 10:36 AM
I'm not much help here as I do all web coding by hand. How much knowledge do you have of web development? What are you looking to make?

PeterSG
06-18-2015, 11:45 AM
I'm not much help here as I do all web coding by hand. How much knowledge do you have of web development? What are you looking to make?

My sites include all the sites linked on www.internetroad.com.

I am a long-time assembler language programer & system designer.

These days I am a system designer and must use a WYSIWYG site development program, doing no coding.

I used Dreamweaver and dropped it since it potentially does too much for my needs.

Yesterday I started experimenting with KompoZer by Mozilla. This appears to have all the powers that I will need.

Can you please name a program that is appropriate for me?

Thank you.

vansmith
06-18-2015, 11:55 AM
I don't know of any WYSIWYG editors but if Kompozer does the trick for you, give that a try. The use of a tool is ultimately a personal choice so go with what feels comfortable.

PeterSG
06-22-2015, 04:43 PM
The choices are narrowing.

The following two programs appear to be useful without the vast complexity of Dreamweaver with its teeny-tiny type display.

The two programs remaining under consideration are:

Sandvox & Freeway Express with its upgrade.

Any thoughts on these or other programs will be appreciated greatly.

magaretz
10-26-2015, 06:51 AM
The following two programs (http://www.iphonetransferrecovery.com) appear to be useful without the vast complexity of Dreamweaver with its teeny-tiny type display.

The two programs remaining under consideration are:

Sandvox & Freeway Express with its upgrade.

How about Adobe Dreamwaver?

Edit: I get started to use DW to build static sites of my own On Windows. When switched to MBP, it's still my choice, though it's not that perfect.

PeterSG
10-26-2015, 11:09 AM

Thank you. I appreciate your suggestion.

I switched to Mac 7 years ago.

When I bought my first MacBook Pro, at the same time, I bought Dreamweaver.

I learned that Dreamweaver:

-- Has a user interface that is overly complex and a display that is too tiny;

-- Has a user interface that contains sub-windows that would serve better as menu items. Its user interface unnecessarily complicates a web-building project;

-- Requires too many components to build the same pages that I had been building using FrontPage.

After learning that, I tossed my $400 experiment in the garbage.

chas_m
10-26-2015, 04:26 PM
Coming back to this thread despite the OP ignoring my original suggestion (after taking the trouble to agree with it!) and coming round to the exact same programs I suggested -- only 2.5 years later ...

In addition to the two I originally suggested, there is EverWeb (http://www.everwebapp.com). Designed to be as much like iWeb as possible, this should also be considered. I suspect that was the program the OP originally called "EasyWeb" in his post ...

PeterSG
10-26-2015, 06:47 PM
Coming back to this thread despite the OP ignoring my original suggestion (after taking the trouble to agree with it!) and coming round to the exact same programs I suggested -- only 2.5 years later ...

In addition to the two I originally suggested, there is EverWeb (http://www.everwebapp.com). Designed to be as much like iWeb as possible, this should also be considered. I suspect that was the program the OP originally called "EasyWeb" in his post ...

Each product suggested on this thread has been personally checked out by me. Some have been additionally checked out by my co-workers.

I have verified each suggested program's functionality by reviewing relevant forums, if available. That includes those operated by Freeway.

I corresponded with sales and tech people at each company whose product was mentioned as a potential replacement & enhancement for FrontPage.

My research included correspondence with people at Rage Software, which markets its product under the name Everweb, once known as Easyweb. When asked about a function that my sites require, they responded with the following: "We still do not have a date for when this blogging feature will be released. This feature is extremely complex so it is taking us a little longer to complete." Yes, some systems are extremely complex, but a company that cannot determine an estimated, approximate completion date to release a feature it is working on, is not a company I will choose to rely upon. I learned not to rely upon excuses and promises. After all, I trusted Microsoft when I selected FrontPage.

Chas, please trust me when I say that I truly appreciate ever single person who took the trouble to assist me by posting on this thread.

I replied to some posters, such as the person this morning who suggested Dreamweaver, with my specific reasons for not using Dreamweaver.

Chas, I did not ignore your post or suggestion. Why would I? I was in need of assistance, came to this great forum and its sincere knowledgeable people, and need an answer. Ignoring yours, or any poster would be foolish on my part.

Sincerely,
Peter, hopefully not a foolish person.

chas_m
10-26-2015, 10:54 PM
I appreciate your reply, but I'm having trouble understanding how "checking out" the two programs I suggested took 2.5 years, and yet there is still no decision on this.

Do you perhaps work for the government? :)

chscag
10-26-2015, 11:21 PM
Do you perhaps work for the government?

LOL, looks like you can still make it as a "stand up" comedian chas. :)

PeterSG
10-26-2015, 11:45 PM
I appreciate your reply, but I'm having trouble understanding how "checking out" the two programs I suggested took 2.5 years, and yet there is still no decision on this.

Do you perhaps work for the government? :)

In June of 2009, I purchased my first Apple after hearing many good reports from friends and business associates who had switched from PC.

Of course my problem would be a serious one: I had developed many sites using FP, so I purchased Dreamweaver concurrently with my Mac.

DW proved to be something not for me so I installed Parallels, Windows 7, extra memory, and FP on my Mac. I ran that way but had always preferred to run native Apple so I never ceased my quest for a native Apple program.

The iWeb program was checked out early on but rejected for lack of functionality.

When I found this forum I started this thread. Over the last 2-plus years, as someone was good enough to offer a suggested replacement for FP, I checked it out for applicability for my projects, reviewed its use with co-workers, and we made the decision which turned out to be the same in all cases: Not appropriate.

So, the checking out of FP replacements has been an ongoing, intermittent task. It never ended. It continues to this day -- and tomorrow.

Today's suggestion to try Dreamweaver was one I could easily answer quickly since I had invested $400 and still rejected the Dreamweaver program.

All suggestions were checked out, and much appreciated, and the decision regarding each -- Yes or No -- was made as quickly as the decision became clear.

chscag
10-27-2015, 12:42 AM
@PeterSG:

Take a look at the November 2015 issue of Macworld on page 110. The editors have done a nice review of some of the current web development programs that are available for the Mac. Their editor's choice for beginners is "Blocs 1.3" rated 4 stars. After that they list "Everweb 1.8.2" 4 stars, "Rapidweaver 6" 4 stars, and "Sandvox 2" 4 stars. Some others also are listed but are lower rated. Interesting read if you get a chance.

PeterSG
10-27-2015, 01:16 AM
@PeterSG:

Take a look at the November 2015 issue of Macworld on page 110. The editors have done a nice review of some of the current web development programs that are available for the Mac. Their editor's choice for beginners is "Blocs 1.3" rated 4 stars. After that they list "Everweb 1.8.2" 4 stars, "Rapidweaver 6" 4 stars, and "Sandvox 2" 4 stars. Some others also are listed but are lower rated. Interesting read if you get a chance.

Thank you, Chscag.

Blocs is a new one for us. Thanks.

chas_m
10-27-2015, 01:49 AM
I wish you the best of luck with your search, but I continue to puzzle as to why you couldn't have simply said "yes, we already investigated your suggestions, and they're not quite right for us," saving everyone a lot of time and effort.

When people come on here and complain about an issue, one of the first things we ask is "what have you already tried" if they haven't provided that information. I trust that if you choose to continue soliciting suggestions, you'll remember this and save yourself and the volunteers who have provided suggestions a lot of time and just let us know what you've crossed off the list.

I might also point out that you or someone on your team could have -- very usefully -- taught themselves HTML and CSS over the past 2.5 years -- it's really not that complicated, and you would then have far more control and customization options when you finally get around to rewriting the sites, which you will inevitably have to do anyway. Indeed, you could have hired someone and had this all done a long time ago for what would likely be a fraction of the value of the time you've spent "investigating" a way to avoid the modest amount of work required. Just sayin'.