• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Best Data Recovery Option?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel core i5, 120gb SSD, 2.3GHZ, 4gb RAM, Macbook Pro 13 inch 2011 model
I have accidentally deleted a very precious word document and I NEED it back. I feel bad enough as it is that i deleted it without knowing. I will pay money for software to recover it. I have used disk drill and found the file and it can be recovered, however i want to know if there are more affordable options than disk drill that will cost me 89 bucks… If anyone can offer up some advice i would appreciate it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Disk Warrior is another application that you could use...but it costs $99 bucks.

One piece of advice (if this document is very important)...STOP using the computer immediately. The area where this document was stored on the HD (since it was trashed)...has now been "labeled" by the HD as "free space" and available for new info to be written there. Thus...that area on the HD could be used for the storage of new data. If this area is overwritten with new data...that would make recovery of the old data next to impossible.

If this Word document is that important...then $89 or $99 is a small price to pay. There could be free or almost free apps available...you just got to do some internet searching.

Remember...if you are continually using this computer...there is definitely a chance that the location where the file was stored could be overwritten...it may even have been over-written already.

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Data Recovery will cost you money but i know good things about Data Rescue 3 and does a good jopb and $20 cheaper than Disk Drill.

Have a look in the Mac App Store and have a look under Data Recovery

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am pleased to report that the file has been recovered. I originally recovered it and noticed half of it was gone but with a little more digging and persistence i recovered the entire file. I used MiniTool Mac data recovery and it was a free application and restoration. I highly recommend them as I am very pleased. Thank you for your help

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am pleased to report that the file has been recovered. I originally recovered it and noticed half of it was gone but with a little more digging and persistence i recovered the entire file. I used MiniTool Mac data recovery and it was a free application and restoration.

Congratulations...that was a fantastic recovery from a potentially disasterous situation (if this file was super important)!:)

I highly recommend them as I am very pleased. Thank you for your help

I would also highly recommend making routine backups of your whole HD...or at least making frequent backups of your most important files. Even if that backup is on a USB thumb drive.:)

Congrats again!:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congratulations...that was a fantastic recovery from a potentially disasterous situation (if this file was super important)!:)

I would also highly recommend making routine backups of your whole HD...or at least making frequent backups of your most important files. Even if that backup is on a USB thumb drive.:)

Congrats again!:)

- Nick
Thanks Nick! I'm working on getting a time capsule. that way i can set up time machine. Thanks again for the help.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And consider - if you do not need another router - you do not need a Time Capsule.

Pretty much any external hard drive will do.

C

chas_m

Just to clarify Tom's response a little: Time Machine will happily back up your boot drive to any external drive, you don't need to buy a Time Capsule in order to use Time Machine. If you're not in the market for a router, or don't need to do wireless backups, a simple external hard drive (we suggest one that is double the capacity of your boot drive) will do the trick.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
^^^What he said - seems I am getting a little short on the response some times.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.