CAn I being Hacked?

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a MacBook Pro mid 2012. Would like to ask is it possible that someone hacks my IP address from my router and then hacks my microphone laptop without me knowing about it?

If yes how can I check? I heard something about a software called nmap.

Thanking you in advance your help is really appreciated.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
As a computer professional, I absolutely shudder and wince when I hear people talking about hacking akin to people opening up a website or something..

All of the Hollywood TV shows and movies have totally diluted the effort it takes to actually hack into a system and even what hacking even means..

This, unfortunately, makes everyone equate anything that is new or unexpected as being a virus, hacking or something nefarious..

First and foremost, the onus is on all of us to actually make sure that we protect ourselves with the most basic of protection. You mentioned a router, so there you want to make sure that you have a strong password to get into the administration panel. Second, if you are using WiFi on that router, you want to use at least WPA2 strong passphrase to disallow anyone from getting onto your WiFi and so on.

Next, when you browse any website with sensitive information (bank, shopping where you use your credit card and so on), ensure that you are using the secure version with HTTPS in the URL. All of the latest browsers highlight this feature by making the URL green or something..

So before we freak out, first learn about how things work and then take measures to protect yourself and then resolve issues that make no sense..

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi Raz0rEdge,

Thanks for your reply.

I surely have a strong password but the problem is that I sometimes have friends at home to study with. And obvoisly I gave them my router password so that they have acess to internet. Then also they have acess to my IP adress. Can they do something with this ip address?

Excuse my ignorance but I am not so professional.

Thanks again for your information and help

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The IP they will see is the one your router hands out to them. If they are very smart in Networking they can figure out the routers Main IP but like Ashwin stated, be sure your Admin password on the router is also very strong so they can't get into the settings in the router. As far as figuring your IP and getting into your system, I doubt it and even if they could they would really need the Admin password to your Mac to do damage.

Another thing, if you are having people over, don't have people on your network you can't trust! That will solve it all! :D

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Simply getting an IP address is not enough. Having an IP address is like giving someone your name - it might point them in the right direction but by itself, it's hardly enough to leave you vulnerable. On top of that, assuming you're using DHCP (you most likely are), your IP address may change so even if they had one of your external IP addresses (the one your ISP gives you), it's possible that's not your IP anymore.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Hi Raz0rEdge,

Thanks for your reply.

And obvoisly I gave them my router password so that they have acess to internet.

I assume by this you mean that you gave them a password to access your network, Most routers allow you to set a different password in order to be able to administer/change router settings.

If you are really concerned make sure the password to see/change router settings is different from your network password. That way they cannot access/change router settings.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Your router has two passwords actually. One is the one used to administer it and the other is for the WiFi. While you can share the WiFi password with friends/family and they can get an IP address, you don't want to do that with everyone.

A lot of routers these days have a Guest WiFi that they can set up. You can hand out the password of that to your friends and they can get into the Internet but can't access your machine..

So that's another layer of security..

As the others have said, just the IP address doesn't give anyone much control. The usual method of hacking actually involves finding a vulnerability in an application/service that is running.

So a website for example might have a port that is opened or be running a program/script that is vulnerable to certain type of information.

Most desktop computer seldom have any of these services running and Mac OS by default keeps most of all the ports closed so noone can actually get in that way..

Frankly, these days the thing that most "hackers" do to get access to system is social engineering or phishing. Social engineering is usually targeted at big companies and it involves the hackers calling and pretending to be someone of importance to get bits of information and then taking that and calling someone else to get more information and doing that over and over again until they get enough information to bypass all security checks. The phishing method is a more common way of accessing your information and at it's core its as simple as sending you an email that looks totally authentic about your account (doesn't matter what account, bank, email, ISP, whatever) being locked out or going through a security scan and you are required to enter your credentials to unlock it.

Of course, while the email looks authentic with all the right images and text, the URL you are directed to validate your credentials is bogus and once you complete the validation you're passed along to the real site with a failure. Without thinking about it, you enter your password a second time on the real site and boom you log in, everything looks good and you move on. Unfortunately, without you realizing you just gave your credentials away. If this was the bank, bye bye money..:)

[RANT]
If it wasn't already abundantly clear, a lax use of computer phrases just tips me over the edge and when I see the shows and movies show that some person can type on a keyboard for about 5 minutes boom they've gotten past the firewall of some secure network and are grabbing all the files, I just roll my eyes and smile cuz that's just BS!

My absolute favorite butchery of my chosen profession is the movie Independence Day where Jeff Goldbloom's character (the genius MIT grad, he'd have to be MIT-educated to pull this crap off) designs a virus on his Mac (no less) that he manages to inject (what the interface was, I'm not sure..do all aliens conform to our IEEE 802.11abgn standards??) the alien computer and not only corrupt their system, but also manages to show a very nice and menacing skull and crossbones on the screen with audio to boot!

In the real world we all live in, we have to jump through umpteen hoops to get a Windows program to run in Linux or Mac OS and totally forget about running Mac OS apps on Windows or Linux..but no worries, Goldbloom's Mac can talk to an alien computer with whatever architecture it has.

OK..end rant..:)
[/RANT]

OP
M
Reaction score
Wow thanks to all for the useful information.

This surely puts my mind at rest.

I will take the necessary measures as some of you suggested when having guests.

Thanks again you are all really helpful. :Blushing:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.