sudo required to remove files ?!

Reaction score
I must use sudo to remove files

Hi, My mac started refusing to connect to particular IP addresses, so our IT staff fixed it by saving my home directory, formatting the hard drive and loading a more recent OS/X. Then they restored my home directory. Based on my "ls -l", I seem to be the owner of all the stuff in my home directory. I can "rm -f file" sometimes, but not always. I can never "rm -rf dir" however. To do these, I must become root. Even for newly created directory trees. Something is awry and my IT staff says it is the new normal. I find it inconvenient to have to type passwords every few minutes and disconcerting to have a root shell lying around that I have to flip to all the time to do normal file maintenance.

So how do I figure out the cause and fix it? Hopefully just some sudo script that blows away whatever ACL issue it is that keeps getting in the way. Or some system setting that causes so much grief?

Thank you!!

C

chas_m

So let me get this right: you had trouble with a particular web browser not connecting to SOME (not all) web addresses, and your IT staff's solution was to nuke and pave the drive??

And now they tell you that if you want to do anything with your files, you need to be root and to just accept that?

And they still have jobs, do they?

<shakes head>

This is why you should never allow Windows techs anywhere near a Mac.

Since you didn't mention it, what happens if you simply drag a file to the trash (you know, the normal way of using OS X without all that terminal nonsense)?

What report do you get when you run Disk Utility?

OP
B
Reaction score
So let me get this right: you had trouble with a particular web browser not connecting to SOME (not all) web addresses, and your IT staff's solution was to nuke and pave the drive??

In their defense, they did a bit of Googling and discovered a lot of network issues with my variation of Lion. Since it was highly likely some software issue, rather than propagate a broken config to 10.8, we decided it was more straight forward to "repave" it.

And, no, it wasn't a browser problem. DNS worked fine, just certain IP addresses. e.g. nytimes.com could not be reached, but blog.nytimes.com could be. And there was discrimination between certain internal 10.x.x.x addresses, too. *AND* it was ping and traceroute, not web browsers.

The cause for this post was that my home directory had some restrictive ACL that got passed down to all subdirectories. But it took me a few hours to work it out.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Threads merged - please don't crosspost the same question to multiple forums.

OP
B
Reaction score
Threads merged - please don't crosspost the same question to multiple forums.

Indeed. I googled my into the other forum and realized it was way off topic for the off topic forum. Sorry and thanks for cleaning up....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.