PDA

View Full Version : Apple introduces new iPod touch without rear camera for $229

OneMoreThing...
05-30-2013, 11:30 AM
Apple introduces new iPod touch without rear camera for $229 (http://www.tuaw.com/2013/05/30/apple-introduces-new-ipod-touch-without-rear-camera-for-229/)

Read more (http://www.tuaw.com/2013/05/30/apple-introduces-new-ipod-touch-without-rear-camera-for-229/)

Raz0rEdge
05-30-2013, 11:34 AM
Interesting move getting rid of the rear camera, so this is only a good FaceTime/Skype device as far as camera is concerned..

vansmith
05-30-2013, 12:08 PM
Evidently someone at Apple read my mind - removing the camera (a useless feature) to save on cost was a brilliant decision. Without question, if I were to buy a new iPod Touch, I'd buy this one.

MYmacROX
05-30-2013, 12:24 PM
I could be wrong, but it's always been my understanding (assumption) that typically someone who doesn't have a full feature smart phone would have an iPod Touch in addition to their simple phone (or no phone at all). Hence, the camera would seem to be an essential feature - especially for those who like to post photos on facebook and Instagram and send photos in text messages to their friends/family. I don't know, it just seems like an odd feature to remove from a device like this. I mean it's basically an iPhone without the calling and cellular capabilities.

dtravis7
05-30-2013, 12:28 PM
I like a camera on a phone or touch. Sorry. Just not on a 10" iPad. Too large to hold up to take pics but the iPod touch is perfect for that.

But in the end Apple will do what Apple will do and no one will tell them different. You just have to "THINK DIFFERENT"! And also "YOU are holding it WRONG"! :D

MAC_dogg
05-30-2013, 01:51 PM
But in the end Apple will do what Apple will do and no one will tell them different. You just have to "THINK DIFFERENT"! And also "YOU are holding it WRONG"! :D

Truth. :Evil: I think the removal of the rear facing camera is a smart business move for them, as it lowers the cost of what is essentially a music playing device, and also encourages people who desire the camera to spring for a more expensive iPhone or iPad.

CrimsonRequiem
05-30-2013, 05:44 PM
I like a camera on a phone or touch. Sorry. Just not on a 10" iPad. Too large to hold up to take pics but the iPod touch is perfect for that.

That doesn't seem to deter other people from doing that. >_>" I think it looks absolutely ridiculous but hey whatever makes them happy.

iWhat
05-30-2013, 11:55 PM
Even though the rear facing camera takes higher quality photos, but in the end don't we all just use it for taking selfles and applying a bunch of filters to degrade the quality to make us look sexier anyways? :P

I can't think of too many situations where I would need to have a iPod touch with a rear camera. I mostly use my old iPhone 4 for the gym now. Anyone who can afford an iPod touch probably will have other means of taking better quality photos.

RONE
05-31-2013, 11:48 PM
I see it as a good offering. My dad loves his iPod touch, but basically only uses it as a music device. I don't think he's ever taken a photo with it. This would be a good option for him (and I'm sure many other adults that don't feel the need to take a photo every couple of hours).