Creating Windows Install Disc

Reaction score
I'm having problems creating the install disc. I have an SSD drive connected via Thunderbolt, this is not recognised by Bootcamp Assistant. I have also tried connecting it via USB, but this makes no difference. What do I need to do to get this to work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'm having problems creating the install disc. I have an SSD drive connected via Thunderbolt, this is not recognised by Bootcamp Assistant. I have also tried connecting it via USB, but this makes no difference. What do I need to do to get this to work?

Are you trying a create a Windows install disc?

Or

Are you trying to install Windows on an External SSD?

OP
Reaction score
I'm trying a create a Windows install disc..

I intend to install Windows on my internal drive, but Bootcamp instructs you to use a thumb drive for the install 'disc' (if you have no optical drive). I'm hoping my external SSD can act as said thumb drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I've never heard of anyone using an SSD but if it's going to work it needs to be connected by USB.

Does Disk Utility recognise the drive? How is it formatted?

OP
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, it encouraged me to try again. This time I removed the Thunderbolt cable (I was being lazy before) and it worked fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.