must be a simple solution?

M

mac_monkey

Please help this lost little puppy.

Initially with this:
Broadband service (Telewest) coming into cable modem. I would like to connect this badboy to my Mac G4 (OSX 10.3.9) via ethernet. sounds awefully simple. but can anybody walk me through the settings? (DHCP etc.) i seem to be having no joy. pop-up keeps telling me connection cannot be found (or words to that effect). rather annoying now.

Then in time:
Would like to (again) connect Mac hard-wired into modem and/or router, as plans are to have a PC wirelessly connected in a diff part of the house. best way? ditch the modem altogether and get an ADSL router? suggestions please. and setting walk-throughs if poss.

and be clear as poss. ain't stoopid but i need to be sure. many thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
For the first part.
Under TCP/IP set it to automatic and be sure that you have registered you MAC address with Telewest as thats what i had to do with my uncles machine and he is with telewest. The MAC address is your ethernet ID

The in time part go buy a wireless router with an inbuilt switch then that will be all you need. Dont buy any ADSL stuff as you have Cable they are two different things

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.