Need help with IPhone!!

Reaction score
So this past week I thought i lost my iphone 5 at school. I looked for a while and decided someone must have stolen it. I had insurance and decided to tell them it was stolen pay the deductible and get myself a new phone. about two days after i got the phone in the mail i found my old one in my car. Im thinking about selling the old one or the new one but i dont want to get in trouble is there anything that is illegal about this ?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

Likely nothing illegal about this since when you claimed the phone was missing/stolen to the insurance company, you didn't know any better. You did pay a deductible to get the new iPhone..so you should be fine selling the one..

Now on a ethical/moral level, you might want to contact the insurance company first and let them know that you found the phone that you thought was stolen and see what they suggest you should do with your phone..

OP
A
Reaction score
i guess ill call them and ask but like you said since i did pay, the phone is mine to do as i please with it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
i guess ill call them and ask but like you said since i did pay, the phone is mine to do as i please with it.

Actually, the iPhone you recovered (in your car) now belongs to your insurance company. This is how insurance companies work when they replace a stolen item which has later been recovered. I believe when you call them, they'll ask you to send them the iPhone which was previously lost. You're probably not free to sell it or do whatever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Actually, the iPhone you recovered (in your car) now belongs to your insurance company. This is how insurance companies work when they replace a stolen item which has later been recovered. I believe when you call them, they'll ask you to send them the iPhone which was previously lost. You're probably not free to sell it or do whatever.

Makes sense. You wouldn't be allowed to accept a settlement from the insurance co. for your car if it was totaled in an accident and keep the wrecked car to sell as-is on CL.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.