Help with a refresh of an old MacBook pro please

Reaction score
Hi, I've just got an old MacBook Pro (1996 I think, Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM).

It was installed with Lion + Office, SkyDrive, GoogleDrive, etc etc.

The problem is it works OK for a couple of minutes and then hangs. I can not move the mouse or use anything to close things. I have to turn it off. I managed to see SkyDrive was an issue in the console so I dragged it to the trash but there was no improvement.

I tried to re-install Lion by holding the command key but I had to put in my apple ID and they said I didn't buy Lion (this is true - I only bought the PC).

So, what should I do? Try to install Snow Leopard from some download?

Sorry but I'm new to macs - I just want to make it work. Any advice would be appreciated.

C

chas_m

There is no possible way -- not even if you're Doctor Who -- that that MacBook is from 1996. I think you probably mean 2006 or 2007.

First thing you should do is determine if the drive is failing. If its the original drive, it probably is.

Since you were using a "pirated" (not properly transferred, not pointing any fingers at you) version of Lion, that route is closed to you. You can (and should) buy a $20 copy of Snow Leopard from Apple (you can order it from the online store or by telephone) and install that. It will run better than Lion did on that machine anyway.

Everything you're using SHOULD work just fine with Snow Leopard (update it to 10.6.8 and run the Software Update multiple times till you have all updates). You will lose the Mac App Store and your iLife apps (you'll need to buy a copy of iLife 09 from Amazon or somewhere, I'm not sure if iLife '11 will work under SL perhaps someone can clarify). You'll need to reinstall Office from your disks, and re-download the Skydrive and Google Drive apps.

OP
A
Reaction score
OK, perhaps 2006 - I guess 1996 exaggerating somewhat but it looks pretty old anyway. It doesn't have the modern style keyboard for example. I've no idea if the drive is the original one.

How can I check the drive assuming I can get it to function for more than 2 minutes? Should I take it out and try it in another computer do you think or can I use some software tool?

Not sure about the license issue but presumably it must have come with some OS in the past when it was sold. Don't know what though.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Modern style keyboard? You mean Windows keyboard? Every Macbook Pro I have ever seen has a Modern keyboard. It really sounds like you are a Windows person and expect this to be like a Windows Machine, but it will never be.

If the machine has 3GB ram it probably came with Snow Leopard or even older Leopard. If you could stay in OSX longer and click on the Apple in the Top left corner and on About this Mac and tell us exactly what it says,, that would help.

Also we do not allow the discussion of any Pirated OS's or Software here, just so you know. OSX is very inexpensive, especially from Snow Leopard and on.

OP
A
Reaction score
By modern keyboard I mean the one with spaces between the keys. I think they are called "Chicca" keyboards or something like that. You know black keys with space in between. For some reason Apple and then everyone else did this a few years ago. My MacBook Pro does not have this - the keys are aluminum touch each other.

I'm not asking for assistance in doing anything dodgy or illegal - I just want to make it work. Sorry if I gave that impression.

I do know more about Windows than Mac, sure (mind you I know more about almost anything than I know about Mac) but I have spent more on software than hardware over the years. I'm certainly not going to complain about €20 if you think it is the best solution.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Ah, I get you now. That sounds like one of the very early MacBook Pros from 2006 or around.

C

chas_m

I apologize for using the term "pirated" when it's not quite appropriate for the OP in his situation. On reflection I should have said "a copy of the OS tied to the original owner's account," which is more accurate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
MacBook Pros Oct 2006 to Jun 2007 were able to take a max of 3Gb RAM. They originally shipped with Tiger(10.4.8) but should be able to run upto Lion(10.7.5).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.