Airport card is sketchy!!

Reaction score
Hi! I am new here and I have a few questions that hopefully someone will be able to help me get answers too.. TIA!

First off I purchased a used iBook 3G a month ago and had to order a new power cord for it because it fried within 3 hours of using the dang thing.

The specs are as follows:

iBook
CPU Type: PowerPC 750 (22.14)
Number of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed 500 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU) 256 KB
Memory 640 MB
Bus Speed 67 MHz
Boot ROM Version 4.2.0f4

The Airport Card has firmware version 9.52

And apparently its running off of OS 9 and Mountain Lion? But I have no way to see that as I have NO clue what I am doing with this thing!!

Anyway, I want this thing to be usable just solely for my music library and obviously internet access. It wont let me update anything, lets me connect to safari just long enough to open a page and browse for a minute and then it shuts down... Can ANYONE help me? Did I just waste my time buying this? Can it be possibly freed up of space at all? Can I actually get it to connect to the internet with the Airport card??? PLEASE HELP ME!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And apparently its running off of OS 9 and Mountain Lion? But I have no way to see that as I have NO clue what I am doing with this thing!!

It's definitely not running off Mountain Lion for sure. Your iBook is a PPC model and Mac operating systems from Snow Leopard on are Intel only. And it's also likely not OS 9 either. You may be running Tiger (OS X 10.4.9) on that machine. Anyway, you can check by clicking on your Apple menu (upper left corner) and then selecting about this Mac.

That's an old machine so it's difficult to say what's wrong. It could be anything from a bad hard drive to the power supply since it's shutting down. Hopefully you didn't spend too much on it.

OP
D
Reaction score
I wish there was a way I could send you pictures of the OS on it! It says its Mac OS X Version 10.3.9? Does that make sense? The iBook itself does not shut down so I know its not a power supply issue, it shuts down when I open any webpages after a minute or less.. Is there any way to upgrade the thing or should I just cut my loses? I only paid $60 in total by the time I ordered a new power cord and Airport card for it....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
That is Panther installed and as chscag advised it is an old, old machine. Suggest not outlaying any more on that model.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank You Guys!! I will cut my losses now!! I appreciate the feedback!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
10.3.9 as was said is Panther. It's so old no newer web browsers will run on it and the Safari in Panther is again so old many pages will do just what you are describing. I have an 700Mhz iBook here that belongs to a friend and many pages crash the browser.

Can you tell us how much RAM is in the machine? If you wanted to mess with it you could try OSX 10.4.11 Tiger on that machine. Just curious when you click on the Apple and on About This Mac how much RAM is showing up? With Tiger more modern browsers will work and most Web sites should display.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.