New AirPort Extreme - having a horrible day!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Well, picked up our new iMac on Monday - tried to install my old Cisco router last night w/o success (2+ yrs old and no updated software for OS Mtn Lion) - so bought a new AirPort Extreme and installed today about noon - seemed to go well using the downloaded AirPort Utility and had the new computer wired w/o a problem & wired my old Dell - BUT, my wireless home network seems to be in a shambles at the moment - UGHH!

Devices that 'use to respond' MBP laptop, 2 iPads, Nook, 2 Rokus, a HDTV, & a Blu-ray Sony player, SO a lot of devices. The laptops & iPads seem to work most of the time (as now), but I cannot get the Nook or the Rokus to consistently connect (i.e. intermittent) - I've rebooted the router a number of times and gone into the utility but cannot seem to find a 'manual' selection that might permit me look @ each device for reconfiguration?

I've DL several manuals and have spent a couple of hours trying to figure out this router which seems to be a fairly simple setup. I'm about to reset the router and start over but have given up for the night and hope that someone here w/ more experience w/ the Apple AirPort devices might help - would appreciate any comments - thanks. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Well there's always the possibility that you got a faulty unit. That said... ideally, your wireless network should be set to use WPA2 Personal for security, and (under Wireless Options), set the Radio Mode to the first "automatic" option... 802.11a/n - 802.11b/g. If you know for certain that all your devices are 802.11n compliant, then you could consider selecting the last option.

Also be sure the placement of the router is in a location where the signal is not being blocked. Although if you put it where you did before, it should not be a factor. Are the problematic devices a problem even when in the same room with the Airport?

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well there's always the possibility that you got a faulty unit. That said... ideally, your wireless network should be set to use WPA2 Personal for security, and (under Wireless Options), set the Radio Mode to the first "automatic" option... 802.11a/n - 802.11b/g. If you know for certain that all your devices are 802.11n compliant, then you could consider selecting the last option.

Also be sure the placement of the router is in a location where the signal is not being blocked. Although if you put it where you did before, it should not be a factor. Are the problematic devices a problem even when in the same room with the Airport?

Hi Lifeisabeach - thanks for your comments - we're in Winston Salem - usually go to Wrightsville Beach once or twice a year - love the area!

Well, for the time being I'll assume the unit is not defective - I'm using WPA2 Personal and the 802.11 options above; I did reboot the router and also put it up higher (which may have been an issue in moving out the old computer).

Amazingly, after a nice dinner & a few glasses of wine, I was going to give the Roku another chance and was able to stream 3-4 episodes of 'The Closer' from Amazon w/o a single glitch; this morning I chose one of my Pandora channels on the device and listen to 2 hrs of uninterrupted music; the laptop & iPad are connecting - will determine if the bedroom Roku is working - BUT for the time being my issues seem to be corrected? Don't know why & will keep my eye on the situation. Thanks again - the repositioning might have been important. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi Lifeisabeach - thanks for your comments - we're in Winston Salem - usually go to Wrightsville Beach once or twice a year - love the area!

If you see a big guy walking an all-white pit bull/bulldog (or whatever he is) out at Wrightsville Beach, that'd be me.

Well, for the time being I'll assume the unit is not defective - I'm using WPA2 Personal and the 802.11 options above; I did reboot the router and also put it up higher (which may have been an issue in moving out the old computer).

Amazingly, after a nice dinner & a few glasses of wine, I was going to give the Roku another chance and was able to stream 3-4 episodes of 'The Closer' from Amazon w/o a single glitch; this morning I chose one of my Pandora channels on the device and listen to 2 hrs of uninterrupted music; the laptop & iPad are connecting - will determine if the bedroom Roku is working - BUT for the time being my issues seem to be corrected? Don't know why & will keep my eye on the situation. Thanks again - the repositioning might have been important. Dave :)

So far, it does sound promising. If you do have positional issues, you can also consider getting an Airport Express or two and strategically place them around the house so the signal can get relayed around obstacles. I had a problem in my living room years ago. The water heater was in a closet under the stairs, and if it was directly in the way of the router and my laptop, I'd get no signal. An Airport Express fixed that dead spot. Moving the water heater to the utility room was a better fix. :D

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you see a big guy walking an all-white pit bull/bulldog (or whatever he is) out at Wrightsville Beach, that'd be me.

So far, it does sound promising. If you do have positional issues, you can also consider getting an Airport Express or two and strategically place them around the house so the signal can get relayed around obstacles. I had a problem in my living room years ago. The water heater was in a closet under the stairs, and if it was directly in the way of the router and my laptop, I'd get no signal. An Airport Express fixed that dead spot. Moving the water heater to the utility room was a better fix. :D

Well from that description of your dog - we may cross the street? ;)

Today was much better, both Rokus seem to be back in action - other devices working - SO, crossing my fingers and will now proceed to installing a couple of printers - another potential YIKES! THEN - the hardest part - I'm the mentor to my spouse on this new iMac - ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.