MBA as gift...will it use my Apple ID

Reaction score
Although I am not a new switcher I purchased my first gift off of the Apple online store.

Bought my 70 year old mother a refurbished MBA with One-To-One. Her Toshiba laptop is 5 years old, got duped into giving access to an Indian PC-repair company because they told her it was full of viruses, and I have spent too many hours on Skype and LogMeIn trying to help, clean, and fix her PC. She did a factory reinstall and was already frustrated after 10 minutes with all the ads and other stuff that kept popping up. I thought it will be a nice Mother's Day gift.

So, I bought the MBA off of the online store and marked it as a gift. I logged in as an existing customer with my Apple ID. Today, I just received an email that I should activate my One To One service.

My question is whether the MBA is automatically connected to my Apple ID out of the box? I know that she can just put in her details, but the fewer steps in the set-up process the better.

I would have thought Apple could realize that if I marked something as a gift it's probably not me who wants to use the One To One service. Minor detail I guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
No it won't be preconfigured to use your ID.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks.

Guess I'll just forward the email regarding One To One activation once the MBA arrives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
You might want to set her up with her own Apple ID. Though she doesn't need one to use her MBA, it will ask her to enter one the first time she boots it up. Might as well get it out of the way up front in case she ever wants to buy any apps or music or anything of her own.

OP
T
Reaction score
That's the intention. It'll be some time on the phone explaining everything.

I guess the near first thing to do is get the remote desktop working...never tried that through the built in OX application.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.