Suggest best repeater (or other device) for my application?

Reaction score
Hi, I just bought a new iMac for my recording studio (27", 3.4 Ghz, 32 GB RAM, fusion drive, time capsule...) This is a long needed upgrade to my beloved, reliable but now antequated PowerMac G5 (dual 2.0 Ghz) machine (pre power PC). I am planning to put the G5 in my son's room for his use (parental controls set haha) but it does not have the airport extreme card (yes I did manage to keep the antenna). Right now my network consists of the Time Capsule in the basement, and an airport extreme on the top floor (2 story home). I have a great signal througout the house but want to get the G5 hooked up to the network as well. I see numerous USB wifi doodads online, but any and all at the Best Buys etc. are PC only, I dont really want to by an old airport card off ebay and worry if I picked the right card, and if it will even be functional so I was thinking that I would like to get a router that can be set as a repeater/extender and hard wire the G5 directly into the repeater with an ethernet cable. In the past I had a PS3 hooked up that way using an airport express and it worked fine, but that darn express got so hot and constantly needed to be reset until the day it died so I dont want to go that route. The extreme is a bit more than I would like to spend to get I wireless signal just 30 feet down the hallway. Please give me a suggestion as to what to buy, and if any better thoughts than the one's I've had, I would like to hear. Oh, one more thing, I plan to access my old files on the old G5 using the new iMac (file sharing), to pull down all my old recordings to the new computer (I wasn't sure if this would change your suggestions so Im throwing it out there). Thanks in advance for your help. Im hoping to get all this up and running in the next day or two. Thanks

PS more than one ethernet connection would be best as I know my son is dying to get his hands on a new PS4 for next Christmas and well you know how that goes.

Thanks again

P
Paul

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Some of our other members may have more specific suggestions but for now the best I can say is take a good look at the device. I tried to do something like this with an early Time Capsule but when it joins a wireless network the ethernet ports are disabled. I needed to provide internet access to a Mac Pro and DVD player both of which had ethernet but no wireless capability.

I ended up getting a wireless bridge similar to this one. Don't have the specific model for mine at the moment.

Here's the link to my unit.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If I am not mistaken the current Time Capsule/Airport units keep the ethernet ports active if you join a network wirelessly. Though a bridge would likely be cheaper.

BTW I had that same G5 till the logic board bit the dust. It was my primary machine for a while and media machine for a while as well. My wife says the heat coming out of the back made for a nice foot warmer on cold evenings.

That iMac will be one heck of an upgrade though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.