Magnetic covers

Reaction score
Will the magnets in covers such as the Apple iCover and other third party magnetic covers cause damage and/or interfere with the iPad's functionality over time? I would think that it would, but I would like someone with an electrical/technical background to respond.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, Apple's magnetic covers are designed not to interfere with the operation of the iPad. I can't speak for all third party devices but I'm sure that the named brand covers are designed the same way as Apple's.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Since the technology is built into the iPad and the cover designed by Apple, they've probably done the necessary due diligence to ensure no damage will occur.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Agreed with the others. Remember, the iPad contains no magnetic media (like a hard drive or floppy disks), so magnetism is not of concern.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Few years ago, USATODAY did a review on Magic cover, a kid asked his father why magnet used in cover,
the father replied that is apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.