W-LAN DSL How do I connect

S

Steve1

Hi, I have just bought an iMac G5. (I have not turned it on yet). With my Windows laptop I have been using a T-Com W-LAN Sinus 154 USB pin with a T-COM 1054 W-LAN router for my DSL internet connection. How would I make the connection using my Mac?
Is there a better alternative using the AirPort (I know virtually nothing :dummy: about it). If there is I could e-bay my pin(s) and router and buy the alternative.

OP
P

petgel

Steve - I have nearly the same (imac + windows laptop) but got hold of a wireless modem/router. Connected the imac to the router via ethernet(supplied with the router) and connected the laptop wirelessly then enabled file sharing to dump everything from laptop to mac. I would recommend netgear as its easy to set up. I would recommend setting the laptop up wired to the router first, then pull the plug and ask windows to find the wireless netwok etc. When its ok plug the ethernet into the mac and you should be fine. If you then want to go wireless with the mac just pull the ethernet out and turn airport on and it will pick up your wireless network. ethernet is much more reliable than usb or so I am led to believe.

Pete

OP
S

Steve1

Hi Pete,
up and running with the Mac. I've backed all my Windows doccuments onto an external USB HD. I've moved my zigga,000 mp3 files into iTunes (love it). How can I transfer Word and Star Office files to the Mac, (because it's 'Bye-bye Bill' time :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.