Wireless Issues

Reaction score
I thought I would give this a try, I don't even know if this is the right place to post but I'm having some weird wireless issues going on with my computer. My computer is around 2 years old and hasn't had a single issue but for some reason my home internet has never really agreed with my computer. It has always struggled to connect consistently and I always chalked it up as the router because my roommates were having issues also. The thing is, I haven't changed anything to my knowledge but it has now completely stopped working. Also, my roommates computers are all still working. When I attempt to use any browser, safari, chrome, firefox... It fails to load any webpage and I get failure to look up DNS. After research, I've tried changing the DNS server, IP information, going into the router information.. with little success.The really weird part is that I can go on google and search for things but it won't load any links. I also should mention that It works perfectly fine at my parent's house and at my school. It's only my home network. Also, after I took it to my parents house it started to work at my house again but when I shut it off, it stopped working again. I would really like to see if anybody has had a similar issue or know any solutions. Thanks Again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 iMac I7 3.4, 1 TB Fusion, 2 gigs Video, 24 gigs Ram, Yosemite 10.10.2
have you tried resetting the router?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Yes I have, should have mentioned that in the original post. Any ideas?

Hi Rh1n0 - not sure that I'll be of much help, but you might want to provide more information, such as the computer model & OS X being used, connection to the router (wired or wireless, assume the latter), and whether your friends are using the same router - in addition, the brand/model of the router may be useful along w/ the security being used?

My first suggestion would have been to 'power recycle' both the modem & the router (not sure 'how' your router is receiving the internet (cable, DSL, or other)? You can go to the 'Network Utility' in Launchpad' and ping your computer using 127.0.0.1 - same as local host which if normal implies that the network settings in the computer are setup properly (I'm assuming this will be fine since you can connect elsewhere). You can then try to ping 'outside', e.g. the local ISP, or other common sites (Amazon, Google, etc.).

Please respond and hopefully some of our 'network experts' will have enough information to provide specific suggestions - good luck! :)

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, ill give that a try, it's difficult for me to respond because I'm on my phone. �� But my computer info . MacBook Pro 2011, running osx 10.8.3 mountain lion, running a wireless connection. I think the Internet is charter but it's hard to be sure about the info is hard to get because its my friends dads account. I'll update later after I try the ping suggestion. Thanks again

OP
R
Reaction score
Okay tried that worked fine at school, but ill have to try it at home to see what it says

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.