extend network wirelessly or use bridge mode?

Reaction score
I'm trying to extend my network and I'm not too clear on some of the differences between simply extending the network vs using bridge mode so please forgive me if a question doesn't make sense. I also would appreciate any education you can offer.

Here's my scenario...

My modem and airport extreme base station is located in one corner of the house and I'm interested in extending the wi-fi reach to other far corner of my house. There are walls and floors and such between the two corners if this information is important to know and so simply using the base station doesn't reach the other part of my house.

I've been doing some searching on Apple's website and from what I gather, I can buy an airport express to wirelessly extend the reach of the wi-fi signal to the other part of the house. In order for this to work, the airport express has to be within reach of the base station to successfully extend the wi-fi signal. Am I understanding this correctly? If I choose to go this route, when I use my laptop to connect to the network, is anything changed as far as the log-in or should everything be the same and seamlessly log-in as if there was just one base station? So by using this method, in essence, I have to place the airport express somewhere in the middle of my wi-fi reach in order to extend it to the other end of the house, correct?

If I'm understanding the idea of bridging, wouldn't it be the same of extending the wi-fi reach but instead of placing the airport express within wi-fi reach of the original airport extreme base station, I can place it as far as I want and actually use one of the ethernet ports on the back of the airport extreme base station and connect it to the WAN port on the back of the airport express? If I go thise route, would my laptop again just log into the wireless network using my original log in information and therefore be seamless as well?

Also, if I use the bridging technique, would it now also allow me to plug in other computers and such to the open ethernet ports on the back of the airport extreme base station and the back of the airport express or can my devices only be plugged into the back of the airport extreme base station located next to the modem?

Another question, if I go the bridge method, am I able to use the usb port on the back of the airport express and plug in a printer so I can use it for wireless printing for all devices connected to the network?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Your understanding of extending the network is the same as mine - I have never done it that way.

If I'm understanding the idea of bridging, wouldn't it be the same of extending the wi-fi reach but instead of placing the airport express within wi-fi reach of the original airport extreme base station, I can place it as far as I want and actually use one of the ethernet ports on the back of the airport extreme base station and connect it to the WAN port on the back of the airport express? If I go thise route, would my laptop again just log into the wireless network using my original log in information and therefore be seamless as well?

Also, if I use the bridging technique, would it now also allow me to plug in other computers and such to the open ethernet ports on the back of the airport extreme base station and the back of the airport express or can my devices only be plugged into the back of the airport extreme base station located next to the modem?

This is what I do with my Time Capsule - same as an Airport Extreme - I ran 100' ethernet cable across the attic from my primary router to the TC which sits in my entertainment center with the satellite receiver, AppleTV, Roku, etc. plugged into the TC.

In bridge mode the primary router takes care of all DHCP duties.
Rather than extending the existing wifi network of the primary router - I have set up a 2nd wifi network on the TC. Primary router runs a combo 'g & n' network for a couple of older devices while the TC runs an 'n' only network.

That's a little more hassle than extending the existing network as some devices may need to switch networks as they move around the house/yard. But, my 'n' only devices are only rarely being slowed to 'g' speeds.

If you are connecting the router and the AE via ethernet, it still may be possible to extend the existing wifi network, I just have not done it.

Another question, if I go the bridge method, am I able to use the usb port on the back of the airport express and plug in a printer so I can use it for wireless printing for all devices connected to the network?

Have not connected a printer to my TC in this scenario - it lives attached in the office with the primary router - but, that should work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.