Yet another "How to make network work?"

Reaction score
This is embarrassing. I've been using Macs since April 1984. I set up my first Mac LAN using AppleTalk in 1989. And now I can't get my Macs to talk to each other! Here's the situation: I have three Macs, all connected by Ethernet to a Linksys router. Each one successfully accesses the Internet through the Ethernet. They are:

Macbook Pro running OS 10.6.8, local IP 192.168.1.103 (Airport) and 192.168.1.102 (Ethernet)
Mac Pro running OS 10.7.5, local IP 192.168.1.104
iMac running OS 10.7.5, local IP 192.168.1.105

When I use menu item "Connect to Server" and press the "Browse" button, I get the following results:

MacBook Pro sees nothing
Mac Pro sees the MacBook Pro
iMac sees nothing

When I attempt to connect FROM the Mac Pro TO the MacBook Pro, I am successful. When I restarted everybody and tried the reverse connection, the MacBook Pro could not find the Mac Pro.

When I attempted to connect using the IP addresses, in each case, the system replied that it could not find any such server.

I shut down every machine, including the router, then brought them all back up, one by one, with a five minute interval being startups, starting with the router. No effect.

Any ideas as to what is going wrong here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Are you setting the IP addresses manually or letting the router act as DHCP server?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.