IP address keeps changing

Reaction score
Hi all,

Why or how can I stop my mac from changing IP addresses?

My mac has a printer attached which is shared by 2 other PC's in our house. Some days my mac has a different IP address and I have to keep configuring the printers on the two pcs. This causes some of the software to crash on the pcs and I have to re-install them.

Our house is all networked and as I've said there are 2 other PC's on it.

Can anyone advise how my mac can keep the same IP address everytime its switched on?

I've tried locking the little lock - but other than that I don't know much about networking so don't really want to bugger around with the settings.

Ta much

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
becasue you have a network, you are probably using DHCP which will change you IP address infrequently and whenever you restart. you will have to read in your router manual how to set it to a static IP address.

Reaction score
As long as the equipment is on the same subnet (last octect) and the printer IP doesn't change it shouldn't matter. Is the printer IP changing as well?

ed724

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If you don't want your IP address to ever change, then you will have to request and pay for a static IP from your ISP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.