Safari

Reaction score
I built and admin a small website for a friend who uses a MAC with os 10.6.8 & Safari 5.1.1.

Problem: Safari sometimes display the pages in bits and pieces and will not load embedded audio files nor animated cursors.

I have a few other friends who use MACs and I have had them look at the site and they same the same thing.

I use a PC w/winXP pro and IE and everything works like it is supposed to..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I removed your email address to prevent spamming.

It's very possible that the page just doesn't render properly in Safari. However, WebKit is a well designed layout engine and should be able to handle just about anything thrown at it. What is the URL?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Does the site mess up with Firefox or Chrome or Opera on said systems? A site that works in IE might have issues elsewhere as IE has it's one code that works properly only in IE.

It really depends on how the site was coded.

Give us a URL so we can test it.

OP
Reaction score
the site is Thevillageharpist.com

Please keep in mind, its nothing professional, I just but it together using some hand coding, some Office and some other small programs. Just simple stuff

I downloaded Safari, and it works fine except the animated cursors (no big deal there), but the audio does not load.

If I give safari a direct link: thevillageharpist.com/fortunes.mp3, it opens and plays.......

I have suggested other browsers but really, whats the sense in that, Its only been since she upgraded the Safari browser I think. When I first built the site at ther house, her Mac played everything as it was supposed to excep the animated cursors (again, no big deal there)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The only thing I see is toward the right the part with the trees is broken and starts over again. Will try it in Firefox and Chrome.

Ok same in all browsers. It's the picture you have as a background. It's not wide enough and is displaying itself over again on the right hand side. If I shrink my browsers window it's great. You can fix that with a statement in HTML or resize the image. Someone else here that knows even more HTML will probably chime in and help.

It's Not a Safari issue.

Pardon my wording, not doing too well today!

:D

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Please keep in mind, its nothing professional, I just but it together using some hand coding, some Office and some other small programs.
Office? What did you design in Office that's part of this page?

I downloaded Safari, and it works fine except the animated cursors (no big deal there), but the audio does not load.

If I give safari a direct link: thevillageharpist.com/fortunes.mp3, it opens and plays.......

I have suggested other browsers but really, whats the sense in that, Its only been since she upgraded the Safari browser I think. When I first built the site at ther house, her Mac played everything as it was supposed to excep the animated cursors (again, no big deal there)
The answer to this one is easy. The tag you used to play the background sound, bgsound, is an IE specific tag and thus, won't work elsewhere (MS is notorious for developing IE specific functionality). Take a look at the more vendor neutral ideas here.

The trails for the cursor don't work because there's an error in your script (line 104, 'left' is not a property for the object).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had a feeling there was some MS Specific commands in there somewhere. I was just noticing the background overlapping.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.