Setting up wifi in Mallorca

Reaction score
Hi,

We are renting a villa in Mallorca which only has wired internet and I want to use my iPad. I have been reading on the web that the best thing to do is take a wireless modem with you. We have a redundant Netgear modem but is it worth taking and what should we know about setting it up apart from plugging in the ethernet cable?

I understand that if I take my MacBookPro and use internet sharing - that could also be an option. I'm just not sure about having to leave the laptop open for long periods so using a modem looks to be the better option.

I would be really grateful for any advice.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
We are renting a villa in Mallorca...

You had me stumped ("Where the heck is Mallorca?")...so I had to look it up!;) Looks like a popular island holiday destination off the East Coast of Spain!:)

As far as your question...if you only have ethernet internet access I would think that bringing your wireless modem would be a good idea to use with your iPad. But:

- make sure you bring the modems instruction manual (you may even want to practice setting it up at home so you are not lost in Mallorca)
- bring an extra ethernet cable just in case you need to "talk"/setup between your MacBook Pro and the wireless modem
- make sure there are no electrical issues (between your devices and Mallorca)...bring adapters if necessary
- maybe call the place you are staying at in Mallorca to make sure there will be no issues with what you are thinking of doing

Good luck,:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.