iP addresses

Reaction score
I have 2 Macs on my Wireless Network. Recently changed out one iMac for a PowerBook Pro suddenly getting a message that another computer is using my iP address...not sure what this means. Does each device on the network have its own iP address? How would I go about changing the iP of the new machine if that is what needs to happen.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Yes, each device has an IP address. Assuming that you're using DHCP (odds are that this is the case), your router will allocate them on demand. If you need a new IP address, a simple way to get one is to simply disable the network adapter you're using in System Preferences (WiFi if you're wireless, Ethernet if you're wired) and re-enable it.

OP
V
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by network adapter...Do you mean turn Wi-Fi off and back on?
The location option is on automatic...do you mean somehow disable that and back on?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Network adapter is whatever you use to join the network. In this case it's WiFi for you. You can also go to System Preferences->Network. Click on Airport WiFi on the left, then Advanced and in the TCP/IP tab, click on Renew DHCP Lease and this will get you a new IP address..

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks! I did that but don't know if it worked...Is there a place to see what the iP addresses of the two computers on my network are?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The same place where you went to renew the IP address, it should have shown you what the current IP address was. Check the same place for both Macs..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you don't get that error message, you should be fine. You'd also know if it doesn't work because one of the devices wouldn't work.

OP
V
Reaction score
Perfect! I see two different iPs and both computers working fine...Old dogs can learn new tricks! Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.