External Hard Drive Failure - Can it be fixed?!

Reaction score
Hello all.

I have a buffalo 1tb external hard drive that was dropped about 3 feet while off and unplugged. When plugged in it will still spin but will not show up in either the finder or in disk warrior.

Is there anything I can do? Is the only option to ship it off to someone?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Sadly it's highly unlikely that you can do much. It may be worth taking apart to see if you have dislodged a cable (probable) that you can put back in place, but that depends on how confident you are in doing so.
You may find that you can remove the drive and put it in another carrier to test, but I don't hold out much hope.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 3.0 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3/Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel i7 Quad Core 16RAM
Hello all.

I have a buffalo 1tb external hard drive that was dropped about 3 feet while off and unplugged. When plugged in it will still spin but will not show up in either the finder or in disk warrior.

Is there anything I can do? Is the only option to ship it off to someone?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks!
I haven't dropped one before, but I have had several fail on me. In my experience, my data has always been recoverable, but the drive is usually dust. I have a great local shop I go to, and for a reasonable price they have been able to move my data off my bricked drive and place it onto a new one.

I hope this gives you a little peace of mind, that at least your important stuff should still be there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.