iPhone 5 in car

Reaction score
Has there been any in-car charger alongside a radio tuner device, released for iphone 5's yet?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Could be, but I doubt it.

Would think that the manufacturers figured out the last go round that the vast majority of people (I would think greater than 99% of those that can afford an iPhone) already have a radio in their car, so no point making a car charger with a radio.

C

chas_m

He's no referring to an actual radio, Tom, at least I don't think he is -- he's probably referring to a transmitter that wirelessly lets you "broadcast" your iPhone to your car stereo on a less-used frequency.

If I've interpreted him correctly, then the answer is yes -- Scosche makes that sort of device, and if they don't have one with a lightning charger right now they will have one very soon, I assure you.

It should be noted that FM transmitters of that sort -- well, they sound terrible when they work at all. In most US cities, radio bandwidth is clogged and there won't be many if any "open" frequencies that don't have horrible "drift" from careless stations. If you are going to buy one of these devices, at least get one that can try multiple frequencies to find the best candidate -- a lot of the cheap ones use a locked frequency at the bottom of the dial (87.7 FM for example) and in a LOT of cities there are actual FM or TV stations using that frequency!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Ah, yes... forgot about those - had bluetooth too long.

Could get one of the existing models and the Lightning to 30 pin adapter everyone is using with their older iPod speaker docks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.