ipod noob...need a bit of help

• Thread starter iamyour_messiah
  • Start date
I

iamyour_messiah

K, so I bought myself a 10gig 3g ipod off a friend the other day, and Im trying to get it all figured out. Id relaly appreciate it if someone could help me out.

Well first of all, when i plug the thing into the firewire, it jsut always displays a screen that says do not disconnect. for no apparent reason, cause nothing is actually happening. after a while i just disconnected it anyway, casue i was getting annoyed. it didnt seem to do any hard. but it keeps doing that, and when that happens, it doesnt show up as a removable drive in My Computer

Secondly, I used that iPod utility disc, the one with music match and the ipod updater on it. I totally erased the hard drive by using that "restore" option. I dont like music match at all so I got that new iTunes for windows. Could someone explain to me, how, after making a playlist, i can transfer the music to the ipod.

thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
to transfer playlists you just have to have your ipod connected and drag the playlist you created onto the ipod icon in iTunes. To have it show up as a removable hard drive you need to enable firewire disk mode on the iPod (its in iTunes somewhere) When you are going to disconnect your iPod click the disconnect device button in itunes

OP
I

iamyour_messiah

you sure its the same for the windows version of iTunes? i mean maybe im looking half-assedly, but I cant find anything in relation to the iPod in the menu....besides a document called iPod help..but i skimmed through that and I dont think it had much useful info in it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
iamyour_messiah said:
you sure its the same for the windows version of iTunes? i mean maybe im looking half-assedly, but I cant find anything in relation to the iPod in the menu....besides a document called iPod help..but i skimmed through that and I dont think it had much useful info in it.

When you connect the iPod it shows up in the source bar on the left thats where you drag songs and playlists

At the bottom right there are 3 icons and one of them is ipod options

OP
I

iamyour_messiah

but the thing is....when I plug the iPod into the firewire, it says "do not disconnect" right away. And then it doesnt show up in the Source area, OR in My Computer. It's just as if it wern't plugged in.

I doubt the iPod is broken or anything, casue I bought it off one of my best friends, and I know he wouldnt have sold me it if it was.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
while your iPod is plugged in, hold down the menu and play button at the same time until the iPod resets. if you can use the iPod Utility though, then it should show up in iTunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
If none of what these guys suggests works. I really think you should just get your best friend to help you out. I mean, if he can't get it to work, then he sold you a broken iPod :p lol

sKaD

OP
I

iamyour_messiah

alright thanks for all the help, I finally got it working. Just one more thing, though. Im putting the music one there like one album at a time...but every time I add a second album it sorta like, over writes the one i put on there previously.

any way around this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
You need to put all your albums into iTunes and then hook your iPod up and it should copy everything from iTunes onto your iPod. When you have connected your iPod there will be a menu at the bottom of iTunes.. you'll probably need to experiment a bit, and there you'll be able to tell iTunes what to do when your iPod is connected.

Cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.