iPhone 4 and camera albums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP macOS Big Sur....iPad Air 2 64gB....iPhone 8+
I have a question about the Camera Roll and a new album. If I put a photo from the camera roll and put it into a new album how do I delete the photo in the camera roll without it being deleted in the new album?

C

chas_m

Just so I'm clear -- do you mean a new album still on the iPhone, or a new album in iPhoto on your Mac?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes a new album on the iPhone.

C

chas_m

You don't. An album is just a subset of the pictures on Camera roll, exactly the same as in iPhoto. Think of albums not as duplicates of those pictures -- because they aren't. Instead, imagine that the album is more of a filter that's set up to exclude all photos except the ones you picked. Another more limited view of the Camera Roll, if you will.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
I upload pics from my camera roll to my imac's iPhoto. I can move it to an album there and delete it from my phone. If the album is one I have on my phone, I sync the iPhone to update the album. I still have the pic on the phone, but not in camera roll AND it's with my pic library.

Of course, it's in the iphone's photo library, but that's unavoidable if I want it on my iphone at all. But it's permanently saved elsewhere and out of camera roll.

Personally, I prefer using albums on my phone and few pics in the camera roll.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.