Remove Ubuntu Bootloader?

Reaction score
Hello, a couple weeks ago I set out to dual-boot Ubuntu on my Mac. Ubuntu 12.10 has some serious issues with my graphics card out of the box, and I ended up removing it completely (I may give 12.04 a shot). Almost, completely. Though, even though I removed both it's main and swap partitions, I still see a "Boot EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi from EFI" on boot in my rEFIt menu. To my knowledge, this means Ubuntu's bootloader (GRUB) is still kicking around my system. I'd like to know how to remove it, so Ubuntu can be totally gone before I do anything else with installing any OS. In case you need/want it, here is some stuff about my current partition setup from diskutil:

ScreenShot2013-03-06at45845PM_zpsf533123e.png

Thanks, ryebread.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That might just be a problem with rEFIt. You can try these two things:

First, reset the PRAM.

Next, open Finder, and look for "Macintosh HD/efi". Rename the "efi" folder to something that you can spot easily. I renamed mine to "efi_save". Reboot the machine. The problem should be resolved.

OP
R
Reaction score
Well, I guess it sorta worked. Resetting the PRAM didn't appear to do anything, and renaming "efi" got rid of rEFIt. If I want to try dual-booting 12.04, I'm going to want rEFIt, no?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You might want to go down the virtualization route with VirtualBox(a free VM software) to get Ubuntu going. Do you really need to run it natively?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm going to want rEFIt, no?

Yes, that's why I suggested renaming the efi folder rather than removing it entirely. You can do a lot of "tweaking" to rEFIt by opening its configuration file and playing around with the settings. The file is plain text so rather easy to mess around with. I played around with mine for several weeks before I finally had it looking and doing what I wanted it to do. Just takes patience and lots of rebooting. :)

You can always follow "Raz0rEdge's" suggestion of using VB but that's not as much fun as getting everything setup and running using rEFIt. ;)

OP
R
Reaction score
Yes, that's why I suggested renaming the efi folder rather than removing it entirely. You can do a lot of "tweaking" to rEFIt by opening its configuration file and playing around with the settings. The file is plain text so rather easy to mess around with. I played around with mine for several weeks before I finally had it looking and doing what I wanted it to do. Just takes patience and lots of rebooting. :)

You can always follow "Raz0rEdge's" suggestion of using VB but that's not as much fun as getting everything setup and running using rEFIt. ;)

Ok, but I fell like that bootloader is still hanging around my system, and that scares me a little. Is it just a bug with rEFIt though and I'm safe to try and install 12.04?

OP
R
Reaction score
You might want to go down the virtualization route with VirtualBox(a free VM software) to get Ubuntu going. Do you really need to run it natively?

Ubuntu is kinda slow in VBox :(. One of the reasons I am installing it is for it's speed over 10.8 (Which honestly runs a little slow on my MBP 7,1)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.