• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Anyone here play drums?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
It's been a year since I sold my kit - lack of space and too much noise for the neighbours being the main reasons - but am really missing that getting home from work and beating the living daylights out of the things.

The alternative I guess is to move to a larger, more isolated house, or (more practically) to get an electronic kit.

Anyone got any recommendations. Budget of around £1000.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
I play drums. Have done so pro for many years.

Going from an acoustic kit to an e-kit, well, there's going to be some sacrifices. Especially with a budget that low. But having said that, you may be able to find something used that could be good. I think it really depends on your expectations (mine were hith coming from a 1948 WFl 'bonham' style kit) so I'd visit many shops and see if they'll let you try lots of different ones.

I find shops will sell you on a full package, lots of dollars for lots of things. I went a different route, I already spent plenty in multiple kits and many sets of cymbals and snares etc., so I didn't want to spend 7k on a top roland TD-20blah blah either.

So I ebayed each part one by one, I got a decent brain, important since no matter how good the pads, if the brain is crap, the pad will only respond so well (vice vera too but easier to upgrade a pad)

I got a roland TD-10, mid quality but sounds great, and got a great bd/sn mesh head for half what they're new. The rack/floor, I got PD-80s, smaller but works very well and saved $$. Got a ride, and used cheap pads for the other cymbals. All probably within (or close) to your budget about 5 years ago.

Eventually replaced the hihat with a top one on a hi hat stand, replaced the cymbals with better ones, and now looking at getting a used TD-20. I've actually used the kit live a handful of times (man what a scary experience the first few times...)

The god news is if you get tired of them, if you payed used price and they're decent (roland) then you likely will have little trouble moving them into an acoustic should it happen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
£1000 will get you a decent kit in the UK. I will return later with details, I was just given a heads up on this thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(@1500 CAN) you must be able to get much more for your money over there. I did notice a number of brands while playing in europe a few months ago were a lot cheaper.

Here in Canada if you got something new at that price, it'd sound crappy and be broken in 6 months. Used is the way to go here. A friends music school got a roland td-6, and a yamaha something (I forget) and both were demolished inside a year.

The sweet spot (for new) here, is about 2500-3000CAN (I think around 1400-1900UK). It's just under mid quality, the top is around 7-9kCAN. Used (mint condition though) you can get that 3k kit for about 1500CAN.

Sorry don't mean to take this on a tangent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
^^ No worries my man, it's all good.

On with business :) On your budget I think we can rule out new, which isn't a problem at all with these things, because the main brands, Roland and Yamaha, are built to last years, as can be proved by Groove's TD10 still going strong, and I recently sold my TD10 module. These are around 14 years old now. I digress.

Of all of the kits out there within your budget, I would have no hesitation in saying that the Roland TD9 is going to be your best bet. It's a very versatile kit, has great sounds, comes with mesh heads (avoid rubber padded kits, your wrists will thank you), and is nicely expandable (because trust me, you will want to :))

As an example, here's one on Ebay now, bang on budget:

Roland V-Drums TD-9 With Mesh Heads!! | eBay

And here is another:

Roland V-Drums TD-9 Electronic Drums - Amazing Condition | eBay

So it would seem that this is about the going rate for a TD9 (with mesh heads, cheaper if you go rubber - don't :))

You could go for an older module/kit like the 10 or 8, and pay less, and they are fine kits, but you might find the sounds lacking a little without paying for VEX kits (Modified sounds) for example.

If you stretched to around £1200 you could step in to TD12 territory, which is another level, but for home use, you won't really need it to be honest.

Looking around, you won't find a decent or equivalent Yamaha kit for this budget, they are all really cheap (and not very good IMO) or too expensive.

There are other alternatives like buying custom built kits and adding a module etc, but to be honest, your budget would run out fairly quickly going this route.

So there you have it really, a TD9 would seem to be ideal, and will have good resale value too.

Hope that helps, holler if you need more advice, Kev.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the td-9 is a fine choice. (12 even better)

my 10 is indeed getting long in the tooth. I'd grab a new 20 sooner than later (didn't they release a 30 I hear?) but I just got a whole new sonor prolite kit.

edit: agreed on the yamaha brains. I love their drums, but the electronics not so much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, the TD30 is out now, and there is a TD11 and TD15, which is why the 9's and 12's have come down in price.
To be honest, for the money, as a module, the 12 is a great choice, because you can virtually upgrade it to a TD20 with a software update from Roland.
The top line Yamaha module is very good, but hella expensive, and very hard to integrate with non Yamaha gear. Their acoustic kits are lovely :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haven't had a chance to check out the new 30, not that I want to shell out for one really. But I'd love to try one anyway. Hadn't seen an 11 or 15, that's a new one to me. I had used a 12 in a studio for some overdubs a little while ago and was surprised at great it sounded. Didn't know there was an update board for it. I do have the 10 expanded.

Almost went for a custom maple absolute kit recently, tried to cosy up to the yamaha rep here but maybe didn't cosy enough ;)

The new sonors prolites though are simply mind blowing. Used them for 4 shows so far, and just gave them a maiden voyage in the studio a few weeks ago for someone;s record, and all they did was set levels on them and they sounded incredible. The ludwigs and wfls are getting jealous.

My current desire is @59-61 ludwig supra phonic 5" with the rolled brass shell. Missed one on ebay that went around 1400. eesh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh Supraphonics. Very nice. It was always my desire to own a 70's Black Beauty.
Currently I am playing a full electronic kit, custom built by a friend and myself, with a 2 Box module (which has immense sounds but is a pain to navigate!)
I do intend to buy an A kit sometime soon, as I want to start playing in a band. I am most smitten with a Natal Bubinga kit at the moment :)
We digress, but why not :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ah that's why you know a lot about electronics. The only reason I have what I have, is I needed a small setup that I can woodshed learning songs, as I get emailed a song list, and am expected to show up at a gig cold and know it. Blasting them out on a full kit here for hours on end wasn't always, appreciated ;)

I have a 90s 6.5 supraphonic, I've ABed it with a 70s, no real difference. It's a great rock drum, I brought it to Europe for the tour in dec., because I was afraid they'd make me put it in the cargo, so I figured steel had a better chance (of course they let me take it as carry on)

It's got a killer bite. Have 2 other tamas, early 80s, a 8" birdseye maple thin shell rare one, and another rare one, a 6.5 maple withe rosewood inlay that I use a lot. And a handful of others.

Black beauty, I'd love one but first the supraphonc 5. There's a few others I want as well, but unlike the old days I now have to explain more why I want it :)

babingas, I've played many backline kits that were tamas babingas, but truthfully, I'm more a maple ringy sound guy, (or mahogany from vintage days) but they did sound great. Haven't heard of Natal, but I did encounter all kinds of unheard of boutique drum company kits when I was overseas on the tour. There's always something that makes me go wow, but the sonors will do just fine for a long time.

Maybe take this to the other drum thread? Pics? I love talking drums. If that wasn't obvious.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's a drum thread? I haven't been on here in a long time, but my old pal Tattooedmac gave me a heads up on this thread because he knows I know my E kits.
Link me up my man :) Talking drums is what drummers do best, well second best after keep the band in time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There was a thread where I posted a pic of me playing live, can't recall if it was a drum thread, or vintage thread, when I get a sec I'll hunt it. If not well there should be!

I don't encounter many drummers on a mac forum, not sure why.

You mentioned VEX, is that the expressions thing where you get a pile of preset kit sounds for your brain? I had thought of it, though I had already dialed about 3 or 4 fav kits for now. But I generally don't have lots of time to do so, and found that when I used the kit live for a smaller venue, I ended up tweaking it as the sets went on. It sounded much different going through a pa, and I rented a yorkville E10P fullrange powered to sit under me. Suddenly everything sounded a bit different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, VEX Expressions is exactly that. Given your TD10 EXP, which is the module I owned, I can guarantee that it totally transforms that module immeasurably.
I took the VEX off one, to remind me of the stock sounds. Lasted 10 minutes. Some of the kits in The Vault pack that I had were simply amazing, the snares especially.
They are basically tweeks of the existing sounds, but it would take days or weeks to do it yourself.
Well worth the minimal outlay IMO, breathes new life into that module for sure, especially as you are using it for practice, it will make it more pleasurable. I only sold mine 6 months ago.
I have some videos of me playing my Vexed TD10 live with a bunch of mates.I will get a link if you are interested.
To the OP, sorry for the hijack :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
that good eh? Good to hear from someone who had the very same module I have. I was considering a better one but acoustic drums always takes the budget.

Which pak did you have? I looked on their page they have a few for the td 10X, I see the pro pak one, that one sounds the most interesting as does the 50 kits one.

Good to hear from someone who really knows eKits, my knowledge there is limited to my own experience however short, but I really know acoustic drums, I've played so many different ones especially getting to use backlines of many types, and owned quite a range, (have a number of kits and many swappable ones) and have strong opinions (my own of course) on the ones I've played. And I'm a freak for details especially vintage drums.My drums see serious travel and need a lot of real tlc quite regularly.

There's a guy outside of this city, a retired guy who really knows his stuff on vintage, he restores really old rogers/ludwigs and have spent many hours discussing the most minute of details of shell to shell, conversations that would annoy anyone else.

I love it though!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had the pack called The Vault, and I would say there are 10 kits on there that I used a lot, and 2 that I always reverted to, especially for live. As with all of these 50 kits is too many anyway, you don't need that many ever really. To be honest any of the packs would stagger you anyway!
Vintage kits are lovely, Rogers, Ludwigs especially. Ludwigs these days don't have the same sound, because they are mass produced like everyone else (unless you spend $$$). We have a vintage drum show upcoming here, in combination with an Ekit and custom show, so that's going to be interesting.
Who do you play with, or are you a session player?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool, I really only use about 3 or 4 of the current kits, I heavily modified them but still not quite happy with them. I will give the VEX a try.

I played drums for a living for probably about 20 years. I guess technically I am a session player, I play with quite a few bands, often I get a set, learn the songs and chart, and show up, meet the band. Someitmes it's someone really well known. It still terrifies me to this day, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

I do also play with old bandmates and others in cover bands and projects but mainly for the free booze, friends and being able to play whatever the **** we want and have fun. I have to do that to keep it fun. Also have a couple bands I write and play with that doesn't really make a lot of money, as it's quite different than being the hired guy to 'do the parts' for money. I can PM you the names, though that story is quite extensive. I've been a lot of places.

Have done 18 month tours, and shared stages with my idols, these days, I've slowed down with touring, though still get out for a fair amount, I run a web company which keeps me from having to tour 11 months of the year now, and lets me still have my freedom to play, tour, make records.I just did a European tour in dec with a band I met, did a few rehearsals and found myself on a plane to Milan. I have zip to complain about, I've been very lucky. (aside from NOT making 10 million dollars.:) )

ANyway I really love acoustic drums, I know them well and work on mine constantly. Love sharing stories pics, or banter about them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's awesome. I'd be interested to hear who you've played for for sure (via PM of course).
I would have loved to chance to have this kind of lifestyle, but sadly I had a big knock back when I was 15/16 and gave up playing for 27 years... I really regret that, it would have been great to have stayed around music, but never mind.
I am glad I am back playing, I just need to make more time to do so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sent. I think it's never too late to get playing again. Many don't see a break or get going anyway until their 40s. I'm 48 in a month or so, and I'm still givener' having fun. Hard to believe I've gotten here, and I don't know that I look my age at all, music keeps me young. I'm not as uh, 'recreational' as I once was when I was younger, hit the gym hard and stay healthy, music is a big incentive to keep healthy. You have to look as good as possible, and eating crap, not exercising, and getting overweight and no energy isn't a good thing.

Glad to know someone who knows e-drums, I always keep wanting to make more time to play with the sounds, and improve things, but sometimes get frustrated with them after playing real kits.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cheers for the PM. We are the same age :) I am 48 in July.
Physically I am a wreck though :( I can't hit the gym due to a back condition, and my recovery times are terrible from anything physical. I am not overweight though thankfully, work see's to that I guess, and careful eating.
It's nice to know someone who plays for a living, or at least has done, and it sounds like you have had a blast over the years, good to hear it.
I know what you mean about the frustration of E Kits at times. It's why I went from the TD10 to the 2Box, because the sounds are incredible, because they are VST's basically, true sound samples, not created like Roland/Yamaha. I have a Vistalite kit set on there that sounds amazing, but the module has the worst interface. It has honestly taken me 6 months to get my head around it, and I am an intelligent guy.
It would be possible to use live though, with enough power in the amps. I have yet to try it through my current amp.
This is one of the reasons that, given half chance this year, I will seek out a band to play with and sort myself an A Kit as well, and some nice Meinl's :)

Anyway, I wonder what happened to the OP :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ugh, back problems. I've had them from well, spending 12 hours a day on a drum stool, and curled into a "C" position in the backs of vans for months and months on end. Not to mention humping gear every day.

Sounds like you have worse problems than I may have, but it's not fun. One of the reasons I started strength training, was because of my back mainly. I see a trainer who's methods and philosophies are different than some of the others I saw, he was a big core guy, kneeling on swiss balls doing free weights, strengthening back muscles and core, it has done wonders to help support my back. But of course you have to be able to do those exercises. It literally saved me and kept me playing. I'm a pretty insanely hard hitter, I give a pretty rousing set, and at one point, I was gasping for air and my back was toast after about the 4th song, it wasn't pretty. I've for years had a posture that I was sort of known for, I'd set my drums up real low, even with a 26, I sit up higher, and I would crouch over and swing at them like a madmen, it looked great (and it worked well for power i guess) but it nearly ruined my back. Here's a shot of the wfl 26 with the 13/16 ludwigs set up for a video shoot, it shows my set up.
drums.jpg

Yes there's a towel in the hats, (to shut them up) and no ride for the video, but the rack is down low and flat, it's also miles away from the floor, guys would use my kit if they opened and would complain because the rack was literally down up and to the right of the hats about 3 feet away from the floor. I loved it and I'd have more swinging room. But it really stressed my back, so, I've had to ease on that setup a little, and lower my stool and sit straighter, after many years it took me a long time to get used to it. Here's a (sorry really fuzzy) pic of them set up for a show (that's not me it's a sound guy setting up)
WFLs.jpg

The rack is now higher, the snare slightly tilted back and my stool is lower. I find it still odd, but I'm getting used to it.

Incidentally, I have another fuzzy pic (worst photographer ever) my new sonors, when I first got them home I set them up in my living room and gleefully played phil collins rolls for 10 minutes on these new ones. The 13 rack is not there it's on order (it'll take a few more months apparently. Best sounding drums I've ever heard bar none.
sonorsNew2.jpg

I tend to use a 4 piece for most gigs, I thought of ordering a 18 or q 20 to match the 8/10/14 as a smaller kit. I have the other toms mainly for recording needs.

btw love vistalites. Never owned one (though came close a few times) but I've played quite a few. Not long ago I did a show tributing the monks (former strawbs members) and on of the monks played with us to an amazing club show, I found a couple youtubes. In it that's me happily playing a set of early 70s blue vistalites that I used for the night. WOuld have loved to take them home with me.
No Shame- Ian Blurton Monks Tribute - YouTube
"Dear Jerry" & "Ain't Gettin Any" John Ford & Thom D'Arcy Monks BAD HABITS Tribute Toronto - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XENnzKAMxc

Second link, second tune is where he came up for the rest of the set. I had a blast, even with the clicktrack for some of the songs and charts ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.