Permission changes.

Reaction score
I have changed permissions on my mac and it was done so well, even I am excluded now! How do I change this. I can add that I am in the middle of nowhere and elsewhere far from home. Oman. No backup disc or such.

C

chas_m

You don't need a lecture on this, so I'm not going to provide one.

I gather you also didn't do a backup prior to making these permission changes?

Hmmm. Without knowing exactly what you changed, it's going to be hard to suggest another option.

Can you give us some info on a) exactly what Mac you have and what OS version it was running before you did this, and b) if you have access to any worthwhile Apple resellers where you are?

OP
T
Reaction score
No backup. Can not remember what was changed. It is a MacBook Pro and OS X 10.4 I think. Bought in South Africa. I am not close to any Apple resellers, but is leaving to Germany tonight. Dormund and will be there for three days. Perhaps you know a place there to go.
I can also add that I am using the mac now by means of a Linux system run off a flash drive. I can see my folders on the mac and access some of it. It is a schlep though to try and save any thing. I am sure it can be fixed by an Apple Store. Just thought someone might be able to tell an easy way! Ha ha.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I have changed permissions on my mac and it was done so well, even I am excluded now!
Without knowing what those changes were, it's impossible to fix this. You'll need to be more specific. What files can you not access and what were the error messages when you tried?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.