Webcam needed for Mac Mini

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.26Ghz 8GB RAM
I have a Mac Mini (2009 2.3GHz) with Snow Leopard installed and need a reliable and inexpensive webcam for use with Skype. But so many don't seem compatible with Mac. Can anyone advise me of suitablel models for Mac and Skype use? I will likely want to use Ecamm recorder with Skype if that makes any difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Sierra, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S
I use the Logitech Pro C910 with my Mini. Has been working fine for Skype, Facetime, and Evocam since installation. I do use it with Mountain Lion so I don't know about backwards compatibility with Snow Leopard. I also am unfamiliar with Ecamm. Check the Logitech line for current cameras.
Logitech - Webcams & HD Web Cameras

Bill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I have the newer of the above, the C920 and have had no issues with anything I want to run on it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.26Ghz 8GB RAM
Thanks for the suggestions. They're not inexpensive webcams unfortunately. My budget is a liitle tighter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
save a little longer. with electronics, you get what you pay for.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a Mac Mini (2009 2.3GHz) with Snow Leopard installed and need a reliable and inexpensive webcam for use with Skype. But so many don't seem compatible with Mac.

Thanks for the suggestions. They're not inexpensive webcams unfortunately. My budget is a liitle tighter.

Many times over the years...us Macintosh owners did not have as many choices/options as folks with Windows computers. One of those areas that still seems to exist...are webcams for Mac's. You're right...a lot of the webcams out there are not compatible with Mac's...and those that are, are generally more expensive...but they are usually also better quality (higher end models in a product line).

On the positive side...many Mac owners do not need webcams...since they are built into all currently selling Macintosh iMac's, MacBook Pro's, and Mac Book Air's. Yes...Mac-Mini and Mac Pro owners still need webcam's (if they want them).

I definitely agree with the other posters who recommend the Logitech C910 and C920. Got a 910 for a relative for Christmas...and it's a very good webcam...but does cost more than the average for webcams.

If you've got a more modest budget...you could try shopping on e-Bay...and see what you can find (new/used).

HTH,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.26Ghz 8GB RAM
Mm, these webcams are expensive. The only alternative would be to run Skype and a webcam on Windows through Bootcamp. That would open up a whole bunch of cheaper webcams for now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Sierra, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S
I don't know where you happen to live but I was at a discount warehouse (BJ's) yesterday and they had the C910 in stock for $34.99. You may want to check alternatives. Keep in mind, these are quality webcams. The mic in it is pretty good in audio quality also. I have used cheap webcams on linux and windows, but basically you get what you pay for.

Bill

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.26Ghz 8GB RAM
Wow! Good deal. I live in the UK unfortunately and here they love to slap on import duty making it not such a good deal.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mm, these webcams are expensive. The only alternative would be to run Skype and a webcam on Windows through Bootcamp. That would open up a whole bunch of cheaper webcams for now.

Remember...if you go this route...you're going to have to purchase a legal copy of Windows to do the install...then purchase the "inexpensive/cheaper" Windows compatible webcam.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Remember...if you go this route...you're going to have to purchase a legal copy of Windows to do the install...then purchase the "inexpensive/cheaper" Windows compatible webcam.

- Nick

Possibly making it cost more in the long run and especially in time, since you have to reboot each time you want to use the camera.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Possibly making it cost more in the long run and especially in time, since you have to reboot each time you want to use the camera.

Exactly. A lot of work (and possibly cost) to facilitate the purchase of a low cost webcam. Unless someone needs Windows on their Mac for other tasks.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which brings me back to what I said way up there. Save the money a little longer and get one known to work, even if it is a little more expensive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.