cannot print

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about some more info? Which version of MS Word and what printer? Also tell us which version of OS X you're running and some details about your Mac.

OP
L
Reaction score
can't print

I am using Mac OS X 10.6.8; both printers are Epson Stylus CX7000F and HP Photo smart C4780 and the Microsoft Office looks like 2004. I can print using open office. Hope I gave enough info.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, thanks for posting back that information. You should be able to print to both the Epson and HP. When you select Print in MS Word, does the default printer you selected show up? And what happens when you select Print in MS Word, do you get any errors?

OP
L
Reaction score
OK here is what just happened. If if choose word from the dock and type something "new", it prints. If I copy something from Open office, that was originally in a word document, it prints only the first 8 lines of 6 pages? It seems so bizarre to me. It has been a problem for long, I cannot remember how it started but I think it was when I got the new IMAC which was 3 years ago. I bought a new student microsoft office but I have not installed it because I feel like this one should work but I am not techie at all and cannot figure it out. While I await you reply, I will try and type up this same document as 'new' again or I'll look for another older word document and see if it will print.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your problem is in mixing documents between OO and Word. Install your new version of MS Office and don't look back. Office 2004 is old and out of date - besides it can not be used with either Lion or Mountain Lion since it's a PPC application. I don't know which version of Office you bought but both Office 2008 and especially 2011 are far better than 2004.

OP
L
Reaction score
will do. Thank you for your time and input. Do I throw the other one in the trash or not worry? Have a great w/e.

M

MacInWin

You can try opening the OO documents in OO and then saving or exporting them to some other format that Word can open. That MAY help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.