iMac rejects Win7 64-bit DVD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have various computers.
When I place the Windows 7 64-bit installation disk in it runs for a few seconds then ejects never appearing on the desktop.

The Win7 32-bit disk works just fine and the install went flawlessly. I really want to install 64-bit. What is going on?

iMac 21.5-inch
16 GB 1333 Mhz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB
Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you check the 64 bit disk closely to see if it was dirty or scratched? If the 32 bit disk worked OK, your optical drive must be functioning.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, sir! I double checked & everything in that sort. The thing is that I had downloaded it from Microsoft... I'm not sure if that would effect it at all. It was downloaded as an .ISO file. I'm pretty sure I'm burning the disk image correctly. Any thoughts?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, burn it again and make sure it's bootable by testing it on another machine or try to boot your Mac with it first before using it in Boot Camp. It's very possible that you made a copy rather than burned the iso to the DVD. Looks like you did the 32 bit one OK.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, burn it again and make sure it's bootable by testing it on another machine or try to boot your Mac with it first before using it in Boot Camp. It's very possible that you made a copy rather than burned the iso to the DVD. Looks like you did the 32 bit one OK.
I've actually burned the image correctly multiple times. I have about 4 copies of the same .ISO file's in total. I triple checked to see if I burned them correctly and I have. I'm super confused and a bit frustrated. Can I even install the 64-bit version? I checked to see if my iMac was capable of installing a 64-bit OS and the computer says that it can.

I've installed the Windows 7 32-Bit flawlessly just to see if it'll work and it did. When I insert the 64-bit DVD my computer STILL ejects it.

Any thoughts on what I can do?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your iMac should have no problem running the 64 bit version of Windows 7. You stated that you burned the iso correctly to the disk. Did you actually try to boot your iMac with the 64 bit disk prior to using it in the Boot Camp process?

The reason I ask is if the disk is OK, it will boot your iMac. Insert it, reboot, hold down the option key, select the Windows disk and see if it will boot OK. Of course if it does, do not proceed with the installation. It's possible the 64 bit iso you downloaded from MS is corrupt.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've actually tried that. The iMac has once again eject my DVD. It's gotten to the point where I ran out of blank DVD's and had to run to the local office store a few times to buy more. I have a great deal of copies now… hilarious.

I went as far as going to see a "genius" at the Apple store and apparently the team didn't know what was going on.

I had already re-downloaded the .ISO about 5 times and even borrowed a friends physical Win7 64-Bit and STILL ejects it. The thing that really just gets under my skin is that despite all the failed attempts, the bloody 32-Bit DVD (though burned at maximum speed) is the only one that works.

Please help, Thank You!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm currently replying from my iPad while waiting at our local SSA office, so I'll keep it short. It appears the problem may be with your optical drive. Try cleaning the drive with a can of compressed air.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.