Upgraded the HD on my mini to an SSD

Reaction score
And it was not as easy as advertised.

I have a slightly older Mini, the previous physical design, which came with only a 120MB hard drive. Which, when Bootcamp was configured, became full after about 2 years. My Mini had a pretty good processor, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26 GHz so I started looking for an upgraded HD and decided Id use an SSD.

These guys had a Samsung 250gb SSD and their site led me to some "directions" on migrating and configuring which sounded a helluva a lot easier than it actually was (time being my enemy while tools were not)

Performance Upgrades; FireWire USB SATA Storage; Memory, more at OWC

How to Transfer Your Data From Your Old Drive to a New Drive

First thing I did was buy this.

NewerTech U2NV2SPATA Universal Drive Adapter USB... in stock at OWC

I ended up getting the drive itself on sale from NewEgg for about $180 (v $235). In the end neither of the steps listed about work. Migration failed as did attempting to use Disk Utility to clone to the new hard drive. Anyone know why? (Me thinks its a machine language issue or my old HD was messed up a little)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

With the new drive installed, run the operating system whatever that may be as your post does not provide that. For Snow Leopard use the system install disc and for Lion and Mountain Lion use Recovery. Maybe the cloning or whatever has failed as the new drive has not as yet been formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Most hard drives come with Windows formatting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.