Cleaning up SSD

Reaction score
I have the 2012 iMac it has a 256?gb SSD and a 2 TB regular hard drive. I just installed parallels on the SSD and got a warning message that said I have very little space on my SSD. When I look in the finder under Macintosh HD> applications I see a few applications but not nearly enough to fill up the SSD. How do I examine what is taking up all the space on the SSD?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Download the free Disk Inventory X application which will tell you what is using the space. LINK

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have the 2012 iMac it has a 256?gb SSD and a 2 TB regular hard drive. I just installed parallels on the SSD and got a warning message that said I have very little space on my SSD.

The "partition/virtual space" that was created for the installation of Parallels is probably taking up a significant amount of your SSD. This Parallels "virtual space" has been reserved for the installation of Windows...and any future Windows application installs.

But certainly do as "chscag" suggested...and use "Disk Inventory X" to check/verify things!:)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks guys, it looks like I had 100 GB of movies and music on the solid-state drive. I moved to music to the other drive but it looks like it's still showing up in the SSD so it must have copied the music instead of moved the music. Is it safe to delete the music folder in my SSD now? By delete I mean just dragging the folder into the trash..

OP
S
Reaction score
more noob questions

So to delete all my music but still keep a copy of the files, I copied everything over to my 2 TB drive then I put the original files in the trash and emptied it. If I try to play one of the songs in iTunes it asked me to locate the file so I redirect the computer towards the new location. It asked me if I want to use the new location for other files and I say yes but it doesn't seem to find all the files. If I click on another song in iTunes I will have to locate that song again. Also if I go in the finder and double-click on a song I want to play it won't open in iTunes even though it is set as default. It will play if I right click the song and choose open with iTunes. My question is is there a way to update the location of all the files or am I doomed to update the location for every single song I want to listen to.?

The other question I had relates to the screenshot attached. The big green rectangle highlighted in the picture is labeled Windows 7.pvm and the one below it is Windows 7 1.pvm. I know the files are related to the parallels software I've installed twice now on my computer. When I installed it the second time, last night, it named the file Windows 7 1.pvm because there was already a Windows 7.pvm file from the last time I installed parallels. I'm just curious will happen if I throw that huge rectangle (windows 7.pvm) in the trash.

Thanks so much in advance,

Screen-Shot-small.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
My question is is there a way to update the location of all the files or am I doomed to update the location for every single song I want to listen to.?

No, there isn't a way. The more practical thing to do is remove everything from the listing in iTunes, then re-add your files from the new location.

The other question I had relates to the screenshot attached. The big green rectangle highlighted in the picture is labeled Windows 7.pvm and the one below it is Windows 7 1.pvm. I know the files are related to the parallels software I've installed twice now on my computer. When I installed it the second time, last night, it named the file Windows 7 1.pvm because there was already a Windows 7.pvm file from the last time I installed parallels. I'm just curious will happen if I throw that huge rectangle (windows 7.pvm) in the trash.

You simply won't be able to use that virtual machine anymore. If you don't plan on doing so, then toss it. Or make a backup copy first; delete the original; then make sure Parallels works as expected.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.