Need some help with analog sond to didgital

T

Talooka

Hello people the thing is i have a load of old audio tapes and i need to import them to the Mac and burn them i have bought a Canapus ADVC110 but i really havent a clue what programs to use or anything could somone give me some pointers please!.

Reaction score
What's a Canapus ADVC110 ? :dummy:

Anyway, I've used Amadeus II for recording the songs into the computer. You can download a fully working 30 day demo to try it out.

http://www.hairersoft.com/Amadeus.html

Have a look on the back of your computer to see if you have a mini line-in Jack then all you'll need is a cable that goes from that to your tape player.

OP
T

Talooka

i have Amadaus 11 a working copy and a Canapus is an analog to digital converter works with videos and vid+ and sound, oh and i have an earphone jack in the back and a speaker jack, i supose its the speaker you are talking about as the line in yes? anything else you need to please ask i need to sort this out :( Thanks.

Reaction score
The line in jack is the one with the picture of a microphone. All you need to do is connect the tape player, press play, open up Amadaus then click record. A window will open, click on the 'source' tab and choose 'line in' and click the 'play through' box if you want to hear the sound. Get the levels correct so they are not going too far into the red. re wind the tape to the start of the song, start it up and then click 'ok' in Amadaus. The recording to computer should have started.

OP
T

Talooka

Ok will try thank you. AAArrrrrggghh the think is now i have a very old double tape deck seperate with a red and a black line in and a line out, i dont think the computer is finding the imput :( do i need the tape deck to have an inbuilt amplifire or not and do i put the leads in the input or output sorry i must be a bit daft to you lot

Reaction score
Talooka said:
Ok will try thank you. AAArrrrrggghh the think is now i have a very old double tape deck separate with a red and a black line in and a line out, i don't think the computer is finding the input :( do i need the tape deck to have an inbuilt amplifier or not and do i put the leads in the input or output sorry i must be a bit daft to you lot
Will usually work without an amplifier but you could always hook it up to an amp and plug it in from their.

You need to plug into the 'LINE-OUT' on the tape player and then with the mini stereo jack plug into the 'line-in' on your computer. If your not sure which one it is then try this:

1. Get a tape with music on it, put it into the tape deck and press play.

2. Make sure their is sound coming from the tape deck by checking it with a pair of head phones.

3. Open 'System preferences' click on 'Sound' and then on the 'input' tab. Select 'Audio line-in port' and make sure the input volume is set to about half.

If you still hear no sound then try plugging the cables into the other similar looking sockets (make sure the system volume isn't on too high as then you could get music all of a sudden coming on really loud)

If this also fails then plug the tape desk into an amp and try the same again.

I've attached a picture of how the line in and out sockets look on my old imac 333mhz. The one on the left is the line-in and thats the one you need. So check to see if you have a similar socket, if you haven't then their are always USB to line-in adaptors.

Hope this is of some help, if you want anymore advice then feel free to ask and I'll do my best. :doctor:

line in:out.JPG

OP
T

Talooka

Well i have just figured it out that QuicksilversG4s dont have a speaker jack isnt that just dandy it has a headphone jack and an Apple speaker jack and thats it why is it that its the only computer i have ever bought and it dosent do what a crappy little pc will i give up unless you can suggest anything???.

Reaction score
So, you have got that model, just found this whilst looking it up:

"Introduced in January 2001, the Power Macintosh G4 (Digital Audio) was the successor to the Gigabit Ethernet model. The motherboard was bumped to a 133MHz bus, the AGP slot was increased to 4x, and an additional PCI slot was added, bringing the total number of PCI slots to four.

It was available with five different processor configurations: 466MHz, 533MHz, dual 533MHz, 667MHz, and 733MHz. A SuperDrive was now available as an optional component.

A noteworthy aspect of the Digital Audio model was the elimination of an analogue audio-in jack, forcing users to buy third-party hardware (most commonly USB-based) for audio input. However, it also contained a built-in amplifier for use with Apple Pro Speakers or a breakout box. "

Have the same problem with my ibook which I'd like to use to record records onto as it would mean not having to move my stereo next to the computer. I have found this device by griffin:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic2/index.php

Also includes a program to record the music onto your Mac 'Final Vinyl' which makes the price not too bad.

It's annoying when they don't put a stereo in socket on computers but then the USB connector is said to be better quality anyway. :eek:neye:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.