Using both Time Machine and CCC on same HD?

Reaction score
Greetings,

I've seen several references to using both of these tools for different backup strategies. After reading many of the discussions [thank you always for the good info] I've ordered my new external HD. If I understand correctly, I'm thinking of using CCC to keep a bootable clone and TM for regular backups. Can these be kept on the same HD? Would it have to be partitioned to keep them separate?

Many thanks for your advice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Yup, easy to do. You do have to partition it first in Disk Utility. Both partitions formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As pointed out by member "MYmacROX" it can be done by partitioning the hard drive. However, why would you want to do it that way? If that external hard drive crashes, you've lost both your backups. The reason to use Time Machine and CCC is to have redundancy. I highly recommend two separate hard drives instead of one.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks much for getting me to think about this further. I was trying to plan for the issue of a bootable copy----I keep reading that if my internal HD fails I can boot from the CCC copy on a HD. I frankly hadn't thought through the issue of an external HD failing!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.